TM Dashboard Updates

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: TM Dashboard Updates

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I could tell that my helper at the GSC really wanted to tell me what the FM Group had done,
Looking at TM, I see a couple of possibilities: They started with the wrong location, or they specified the wrong configuration. (I'd imagine if it was configured for "business", the firewall wouldn't be visible to the STS since I doubt if it would be his responsibility.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Looking at TM, I see a couple of possibilities:
I think that because they no longer had the old firewall, they just activated the new one without telling TM the serial number of the one to replace. Another possibility is that they never activated it. They just plugged it in and left it to fend for itself.

It was a regular church, so I do not think the "business" thing was a factor. I just saw that the old firewall was still offline after I received the report that the new firewall was installed and the work order was closed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:It was a regular church, so I do not think the "business" thing was a factor.
It's an option in the drop-down list. And yes, it appears even for a regular church.

Although, now that I look a the function a little more closely, I think the link takes me to a generic "add firewall" page, not a "add firewall to this location" page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

A couple quick comments:
- when a firewall or access point is properly activated in TM, it will show up immediately. If you don't see it in TM, it wasn't activated properly.
- if you are replacing a failed firewall, either contact the GSC to complete replacement in TM or have the FM do it for you. Both have access to the replace feature in TM, which will take the exact config from the old firewall and apply it to the new firewall. If you have devices with statically assigned IP addresses, this will save you from needing to re-IP devices.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bartj wrote:A couple quick comments:
- when a firewall or access point is properly activated in TM, it will show up immediately. If you don't see it in TM, it wasn't activated properly.
- if you are replacing a failed firewall, either contact the GSC to complete replacement in TM or have the FM do it for you. Both have access to the replace feature in TM, which will take the exact config from the old firewall and apply it to the new firewall. If you have devices with statically assigned IP addresses, this will save you from needing to re-IP devices.
Wish I had known that last week. We have two ancient WiFi Access Points that worked with the old firewall but which we have not been able to get to work with the replacement.

The FM group replaced the firewall, but apparently did not assign it to the meetinghouse so it did not appear on the dashboard. I went to the building, read the serial number off of the box, and got the GSC to find it on the network and assign it to our meetinghouse. In the process, we lost the old WiFi APs and also the account and contact information for the ISP.

A side benefit will be that now the FM group has to replace the old APs with Meraki APs, so that will be a good thing once they get around to it. That replacement was on the schedule for this year anyway, although they did not get the budget approved for it.

And until then, I will just get an earful every week from the members because there is no WiFi in the meetinghouse. It will be a wonderful training opportunity for the members and leaders.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:We have two ancient WiFi Access Points that worked with the old firewall but which we have not been able to get to work with the replacement.
How old? I had 1041 APs working with the Meraki firewall, but perhaps FM did the replacement the right way.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:How old?
One or two generations before the 1041. I am not planning to climb into the attic and find out.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:How old?
I still have some Netgear consumer routers repurposed as AP's working in a couple of my buildings. They were installed back when we first got permission to have WiFi in buildings.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”