Electronic donation on behalf of business entity

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
grantley

Electronic donation on behalf of business entity

Post by grantley »

Hi, I have in the past made donations directly from my business entity ( Company), which on MLS has it's own donor number.

In Australia I made these donations using the Bpay system, which as I understand it is no longer available.

Now that donations are to be made via the church website, I would like to know how I can do this electronically?

As I pay annually, and cheques are quickly being phased out, I don't want to give the clerk cash.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Electronic donation on behalf of business entity

Post by sbradshaw »

The online donation system is intended to be used for individuals donating. Businesses can donate through Philanthropies.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
grantley

Post by grantley »

Philanthropies seems to not have a tithing category. Can Tithing be paid via a business? Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

grantley wrote:Philanthropies seems to not have a tithing category.
It is there. You can direct a contribution through Philanthropies to tithing or other Church offerings. The instructions page has two parts. The instructions are on the second part of that page.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:
grantley wrote:Philanthropies seems to not have a tithing category.
It is there. You can direct a contribution through Philanthropies to tithing or other Church offerings. The instructions page has two parts. The instructions are on the second part of that page.
I wasn't able to find the page that mentions tithing. I did find this FAQ that says that "Tithing and Fast Offering donations are not processed by Philanthropies":
https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/ldsp/ ... ations-faq
Which instructions page were you looking at?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote: I wasn't able to find the page that mentions tithing. I did find this FAQ that says that "Tithing and Fast Offering donations are not processed by Philanthropies":
https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/ldsp/ ... ations-faq
Which instructions page were you looking at?
My mistake. In general, tithing donations cannot be made through Philanthropies.

I was thinking of an IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution, which does not apply in this case, but which does allow for contributions to tithing and other Church offerings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but in the US, it's probably possible to set up an individual account that draws the funds from a business account. The system only cares that it can draw funds from that account.

However, I have no idea what the tax implications of that would be. You'd have to consult a professional.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”