Cancel ACH

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
liquifury

Cancel ACH

Post by liquifury »

I created an expense which was reviewed by 2nd approver. It is now in Bishop's review. The submitter came to me and told me she accidentally included an extra receipt that should not have been submitted. I need to either edit the expense to a lower amount (and remove the extra receipt) or cancel the ACH and submit a new expense. How can I do this?
eblood66

Re: Cancel ACH

Post by eblood66 »

You can call the global service center and see if they can cancel it at this point, but I think it's probably too late. You'll probably need to ask the member to write a check for the over-payment and then deposit it back into the budget or "Other" account from which it was paid and then add a note about it to the documentation of the expense.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As long as the ACH expense disbursement still indicates "issued" and not "cleared" it can be adjusted. This includes any point within the approval process. I am assuming the expense request was submitted with attachments and not just entered as a repayment by ACH with paper receipts. If the former is the case then go into LCR > Finance > Expenses > Expense Summary and locate the expense. Click the reference number and remove the extra receipt attachment and adjust the total amount for the expense and click the Save Changes button. The steps to follow may be slightly different if the expense is still within the approval process,j but it can be cancelled at any point within the approval process. If cancelled then the expense will need to be re-entered from the beginning.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:If the former is the case then go into LCR > Finance > Expenses > Expense Summary and locate the expense. Click the reference number and remove the extra receipt attachment and adjust the total amount for the expense and click the Save Changes button.
I have several expenses that are currently 'Issued' (but have been approved by the 2nd reviewer). It does let me adjust how the amount is allocated to categories but it does not allow the total to be changed. These expenses show an 'EFT Status' of 'Pending Execution'. Perhaps the total can be changed at an earlier EFT status (if there is one) but it doesn't look like it's possible in all cases.
liquifury

Post by liquifury »

Thanks for all the input! Bishop was able to cancel it and I resubmitted the expense.
meljenzo

Post by meljenzo »

jdlessley wrote:As long as the ACH expense disbursement still indicates "issued" and not "cleared" it can be adjusted. This includes any point within the approval process.
In the event the transaction is “Cleared” what are the steps to resolve an overpaid expense reimbursement? The ACH cannot be canceled at this time? Do I just have the member write the ward a “donation” for the amount of the overpayment and book it against the budget category? That seems to be the only thing we can do at this point, but would like to verify. Thanks!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Exactly. A few months ago, the bishopric actually paid me twice via EFT for the same expense. So I just wrote a personal check to the ward, and we deposited back into the budget category from which it was paid. This is the same process to follow when you need to redeposit unspent funds from an advance payment.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”