tech.lds.org on KSL

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
The_Earl

tech.lds.org on KSL

Post by The_Earl »

KSL has an article specifically mentioning tech.lds.org.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4590932
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Yes, KSL got the article wrong. In the article they blur the Patriarchal Blessings web site which is still in development and the LDS Tech web site. To avoid further confusion, we have taken the Patriarchal Blessings article down until we can get the information straightened out.

Tom
kh_design

KSL radio morning news

Post by kh_design »

Yes, I heard it today on KSL radio morning news. I have been telling every church leader I work with about tech.lds.org and encourage their participation, and now it is out in KSL news.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

Tom, can someone contact KSL on this? I hope that they received information through some official channel and didn't just read a thread and assume it is official.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

DJC wrote:...and didn't just read a thread and assume it is official.
I know I heard about this Patriarchal Blessing project somewhere, but I can't seem to find it here on the Wiki or the Forums.

However, I think this journalist got their information from the following Deseret News article, which appears to have quite a bit more correct information:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 ... .html?pg=1
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:I know I heard about this Patriarchal Blessing project somewhere, but I can't seem to find it here on the Wiki or the Forums.

However, I think this journalist got their information from the following Deseret News article, which appears to have quite a bit more correct information:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 ... .html?pg=1
And according to the Deseret News article, it got it from LDS.org (can't tell if it was the homepage or the Newsroom). Apparently, from Tom's comment below, there was a "Patriarchal Blessings article" that they "took down" until this gets straightened out.

I am willing to bet that this KSL reporter saw one of these two articles and mistakenly butchered the correct information.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

Thanks Mike. I am just hoping that the story wasn't written by something they saw on a forum.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

DJC wrote:Thanks Mike. I am just hoping that the story wasn't written by something they saw on a forum.
Actually I think I remember there being an article on LDS Tech main page itself about this patriarchal blessing project. And I just now confirmed it by looking in my RSS Reader's history (it was called "Patriarchal Blessings Meet the Digital Age"). Plus, the General Conference stats in the Deseret News article come from LDS Tech's main page as well.

I bet both Deseret News and KSL journalists saw the article and tried to do a write up. There is incorrect information in both articles, and it appears that both journalists think there is a project called LDS Tech (one thinks it's the whole Wiki, the other thinks it's the Patriarchal Blessing project). The Deseret News article is at least mostly correct and it appears the journalist tried to do her homework as best she could. The KSL article though is not very well done at all, in my personal opinion.
kevincurrey-p40

Post by kevincurrey-p40 »

tomw wrote:Yes, KSL got the article wrong. In the article they blur the Patriarchal Blessings web site which is still in development and the LDS Tech web site. To avoid further confusion, we have taken the Patriarchal Blessings article down until we can get the information straightened out.

Tom

I actually thought the article here at tech.lds.org was very clear. When I read the KSL story, I thought it didn't sound quite right, so I looked up the article, couldn't find it. Tried google, and sure enough it had already been indexed so I was able to read the "cached" version. The important points from the tech article that were left out of the news story were:

1. The CURRENT changes that are being planned apply to Stake Presidents, Patriachs, and Church History Employees.

2. The new system is planned to be finished in APRIL 2009.

3. At some point in the FUTURE (ie, SOMEDAY), Church members will be able to download the transcriptioin of their own blessing from lds.org. (Although the tech article doesn't mention this, SOMEDAY, we'll be able to do much more with records through LUWS than we currently do, and I suspect that we won't see copies of patriarchal blessings online until there are a lot of other nifty features online too).
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Could someone explain to me why this online-Patriarchical blessing idea is exciting and worthwhile? Don't we all have our Patriarchical blessings printed out and safely stored??? How often does someone actually lose a blessing?

I just don't see the value.

Brad O.

Return to “In The News”