LDS.org down for maintenance when trying to sync

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: LDS.org down for maintenance when trying to sync

Post by jdlessley »

The message is cryptic and used for a variety of server issues. There are more than one server used in completing the synchronization process. Only one of those servers needs to be down for you to get the message. Syncing on Sundays during the one day of the week when nearly the entire church is using the online church resources typically causes usage and access overloads. Try syncing on weekdays rather than on Sundays.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
klricks

Post by klricks »

nwtaylor wrote:Same error as everyone else...all day...both devices... and cannot exit the Sync screen. If the possibility exists that the server is down for maintenance then at least allow us the option to see and use the standard UI and not be stuck at the Sync view. Also, the error that ChurchOfJesusChrist.org is down for maintenance is misleading as I can clearly load and see that url.

Thanks
Neil Taylor
I have no problem to exit the sync screen and use the app on sync failure (Android).
However as I remember, periodically the app forces a sync on startup before the app can be used. I think it is once a month or so but I haven't seen this happen for awhile. If that is the case then you would have to wait for the server to come back online.
Assistant Ward Clerk
nwtaylor

Post by nwtaylor »

jdlessley wrote:The message is cryptic and used for a variety of server issues. There are more than one server used in completing the synchronization process. Only one of those servers needs to be down for you to get the message. Syncing on Sundays during the one day of the week when nearly the entire church is using the online church resources typically causes usage and access overloads. Try syncing on weekdays rather than on Sundays.
Ok, 2 requests (from a software developer of 39 years, including 7 iOS/mobile):

1) a less "cryptic" message, something that accurately represents the state, such as a popup with the description/title "Currently Unable to Connect to a Server Used for Syncing" - or "Due to High Demand, Sync Servers are Currently Unavailable." "<url> down for maintenance" is simply not true and is misleading, especially if the user sees that several times over the course of a day, potentially leading to more support calls.

2) UX that allows the user to continue to use the app when the state is "Sync required" but when attempts to connect/sync are failing. For example, include options with the new message in the popup above to "Continue using LDS Tools with current (possibly outdated) data" and "Cancel/Retry Sync Later". Something to that effect. Disclaimer that data is possibly outdated is built into the message of the first option. Users can certainly live with that.

Thanks again for your response.
Neil Taylor
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nwtaylor wrote:Ok, 2 requests (from a software developer of 39 years, including 7 iOS/mobile):
I'd suggest routing those to the "contact us" link under "help" in the app. That gets to developers.

The forum is primarily user-to-user support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

nwtaylor wrote:2) UX that allows the user to continue to use the app when the state is "Sync required" but when attempts to connect/sync are failing. For example, include options with the new message in the popup above to "Continue using LDS Tools with current (possibly outdated) data" and "Cancel/Retry Sync Later". Something to that effect. Disclaimer that data is possibly outdated is built into the message of the first option. Users can certainly live with that.
Outdated data is not the only concern. Part of what happens with a sync is to validate that you are still a member of a specific unit and should have access to data for that unit. That verification happens during the sync process. If the app continued to run with syncing, it would be possible for a user to maintain a copy of old data indefinitely by preventing the device from syncing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:If the app continued to run with syncing, it would be possible for a user to maintain a copy of old data indefinitely by preventing the device from syncing.
What about allowing it just a one-week extension if the syncing fails? The member would have to remember to try and sync sometime during the week, but it would avert a problem with being locked out if the initial time-out coincides with down servers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nwtaylor

Post by nwtaylor »

russellhltn wrote:
scgallafent wrote:If the app continued to run with syncing, it would be possible for a user to maintain a copy of old data indefinitely by preventing the device from syncing.
What about allowing it just a one-week extension if the syncing fails? The member would have to remember to try and sync sometime during the week, but it would avert a problem with being locked out if the initial time-out coincides with down servers.
Yes. That would be a simple and acceptable policy and UX.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:What about allowing it just a one-week extension if the syncing fails? The member would have to remember to try and sync sometime during the week, but it would avert a problem with being locked out if the initial time-out coincides with down servers.
That's a reasonable idea. We've got some other work going on around this, so it may not be something that goes in just because there is other work going on to improve the process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:That's a reasonable idea. We've got some other work going on around this, so it may not be something that goes in just because there is other work going on to improve the process.
Hopefully the underlying problem is getting fixed and has priority. But there's always local situations that might arise that prevents syncing when the directory is most needed. So, I'm hoping some implementation of my idea comes to pass.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:What about allowing it just a one-week extension if the syncing fails?
You already get five chances to pass. I don't know how long that would last, but I would think you would be able at least to get to Monday.

During the long no-sync problem earlier this year, the app kept running for me even though the sync failed. The app recorded the failed sync as the last sync and kept right on going. I did lose specialty items, such as Handbook 1, when the sync was finally forced upon me. But it seems it got far enough into the process to keep my ward intact. I should probably get around to reporting that some day. It may be a bug. [grin]

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”