Ward Directory Email Spam

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
craigolson

Ward Directory Email Spam

Post by craigolson »

(I'm probably posting this the wrong way, but I could not find a way too start a new topic. Hopefully this method will work well enough)

Is there an address for reporting abuse of the Ward Directory email list? I have received several spam email selling "Genealogy Wall Charts" over the past couple of months. I know they are using the ward directory for their bulk emails as the email address I have registered with my Church account is not used anywhere else. Commercial spam emails using the ward directory is both annoying and a misuse of Church resources. I expect I am not the only one targeted, and I suspect it is not only my ward's addresses that are used.

Any ideas of where I can report this spammer?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Directory Email Spam

Post by russellhltn »

craigolson wrote:(I'm probably posting this the wrong way, but I could not find a way too start a new topic. Hopefully this method will work well enough)
Navigate to an appropriate section and click on the "New Topic" button at the top left.
craigolson wrote:Any ideas of where I can report this spammer?
If you've got an idea who it is, I'd inform the clerk or the bishop. They don't have any tech tools under their control, but I'd imagine that if they call up support, they could get that member's access to the directory shut off. Or, they might handle it directly by talking to that member.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

You might also report it as feedback on churchofjesuschrist.org. That is the official reporting channel and it is possible they will request you to forward the email to someone at the church to investigate further.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Total speculation on my part, but have you joined any of the FamilySearch partner sites through FamilySearch? It's been several years since I did this for Ancestry.com, but as I recall, my church account e-mail address was used as part of the verification process. If so, perhaps your address was somehow acquired through one those partners.
gregneg

Post by gregneg »

danpass wrote:Total speculation on my part, but have you joined any of the FamilySearch partner sites through FamilySearch? It's been several years since I did this for Ancestry.com, but as I recall, my church account e-mail address was used as part of the verification process. If so, perhaps your address was somehow acquired through one those partners.
Nailed it!

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”