Intermediate Hymn in the new meeting format?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wrigjef

Re: Intermediate Hymn in the new meeting format?

Post by wrigjef »

Our bishopric just made the call that if there was two speakers we would have an intermediate hymn if three then no. We try to always have a youth speaker do 3-5min then 2 adults. But the youth speaker occasionally backs out or does not show up. Chorister always has a hymn in mind just in case.

Our Stake President has made it clear, speaker or member giving a testimony gets cut off at 5 min sure the hour. Not only does he want us to keep meetings to two hours so families can get home, but we also have another ward crammed in the foyer waiting to get their seats as soon as our ward finishes (even though there is a half hour)
judyth41

Post by judyth41 »

I think “intermediate hymn” is an outdated and essentially meaningless term. Used in a 2-hour conference session it might make sense, but not in one-hour Sacrament service. My ward is trying to maintain the old ways (e.g. closing hymn in Relief Society) and “intermediate hymn” between speakers in Sacrament Meeting. Singing 3 congregational hymns should be enough, and I don’t think the headaches of trying to have a ward choir in most wards is worth the effort, either. We’ve been given a new “model” for our worship service. Let the old one go. Period. And if the bishop insists on another hymn in there somewhere, call it what it is—a congregational hymn.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

judyth41 wrote:We’ve been given a new “model” for our worship service.
We have always called it a congregational hymn. And our choir sings at least monthly, sometimes more often. Our talks have improved because our speakers are more focused and most are only given 10 minutes, instead of the 12 they had before.

As for Sunday lessons, music is very effective when used as a part of the lesson, although you are correct that there is no longer an opening or closing hymn in second hour meetings.

But if there are no choirs in sacrament meetings, there will be no excellent choirs at stake conference.
bez7

Post by bez7 »

jsorens6 wrote:We have 3 speakers each week and an intermediate hymn. The speakers are 1 youth and 2 adults. We have enjoyed having shorter, more focused messages presented in Sacrament Meeting.
I agree with this thought. My Ward has emphatically ended the intermediate hymns so that speakers have time, but having 2 15+ min talks does nothing to promote a reverent attitude in our meetings. Many of us feel an increased kinship when we're singing (worshipping) together in song. My brother's Ward, on the other hand, still sings and limits most talks to ~5 min with 4-5 speakers per Sunday. They're loving the meetings now. To each his own, I suppose
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

judyth41 wrote:I think “intermediate hymn” is an outdated and essentially meaningless term. Used in a 2-hour conference session it might make sense, but not in one-hour Sacrament service. My ward is trying to maintain the old ways (e.g. closing hymn in Relief Society) and “intermediate hymn” between speakers in Sacrament Meeting. Singing 3 congregational hymns should be enough, and I don’t think the headaches of trying to have a ward choir in most wards is worth the effort, either. We’ve been given a new “model” for our worship service. Let the old one go. Period. And if the bishop insists on another hymn in there somewhere, call it what it is—a congregational hymn.
Handbook 2 has been revised to teach us what the new model truly is. So it's clear that music continues to be an important part of our sacrament services, and that extends beyond the three required congregational hymns. Nothing in that regard has changed with the new model, for which I am very grateful. As the First Presidency has said:
“Inspirational music is an essential part of our church meetings. The hymns invite the Spirit of the Lord, create a feeling of reverence, unify us as members, and provide a way for us to offer praises to the Lord.

“Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns. Hymns move us to repentance and good works, build testimony and faith, comfort the weary, console the mourning, and inspire us to endure to the end” (Hymns, ix).
sharisue

Post by sharisue »

I am unable to find any printed instruction to determine whether Sacrament hymns can be used for Open and/or Closing hymns. They are listed in other topic headings other than Sacrament -- is that the answer to the question?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I would say the closest thing I'm aware of is the instructions in the Using the Hymnbook, in the "Selecting the Right Hymn" section. Nothing there states that a "sacrament hymn" cannot be sung for opening or closing hymn. But there is general guidance about what to consider when selecting the different hymns. If the theme of the sacrament meeting was maybe "the sacrament ordinance", or "the atonement", perhaps a traditional sacrament hymn might work well as an intermediate hymn for example.

Return to “General Discussions”