Oct 2008 General Conference Internet Broadcast

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
johnshaw

Oct 2008 General Conference Internet Broadcast

Post by johnshaw »

Well Done!
Well Done!
Well Done!

Let me be the first to congratulate you all on the Internet broadcast this go round. This is the first time I can remember since it started that I didn't resort to the audio-only version. Usually after GC I'm ranting a little bit about all those members who get the broadcast on television using the Internet Broadcast, limiting the viewing of those not in and around the mountain west, but this year, wow... again, thanks, and well done.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I couldn't agree more. I fired it up for the Sunday AM broadcast, which has traditionally been the most difficult to keep a steady feed going, as it was a perfect, high quality stream throughout the entire session. Seems they did their homework on this and (at least for English viewers) solved a nagging problem.

I noticed my feed was lagging about 2.5 minutes behind "live", so there might be a possibility of using a good audio program to buffer one of the alternate language audio feeds for that long to pseudo-sync with the video. I'm starting to tread into deep water, but I know there are others in the forum that can let us know if there are any low-end software packages that can do this, or if it's even possible.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lionelwalters

The Internet stream saved our ward!

Post by lionelwalters »

The new player is excellent!

We received the satellite-recorded DVDs from the Stake to show in our ward the week following Conference (usual practice given the time difference here in Australia). For some reason, the Sunday afternoon session was not recorded, so I made arrangements to have LDSAccess enabled at our chapel so we could stream the session we had missed on the satellite. As it turned out, half-way through both the Saturday sessions, the video broke up and we were left with audio playing against a blank screen, so I fired up the laptop and we watched the remainder of those sessions streamed from the Internet. If our connection was just a bit quicker, the quality would have been better than what we had with the satellite DVDs, and it was much more stable. We'll likely use that method for all sessions (except priesthood, of course) in the future!

Thanks for the exceptional service!
cdn_kellym-p40

Post by cdn_kellym-p40 »

Oddly, I had more success with the original Media Player.

The Move player was really sensitive to other stuff going on in the computer - and not necessarily stuff I was doing purposefully. It often paused or broke up.

But then, I have a temperamental "lite DSL" connection here :) which is 12x slower than a standard DSL. That said, the regular Media Player stream did work just perfectly for me both on this connection as well as on my parents' cable connection.

Hopefully I'll be on Temple Square in April of '09 so it won't matter :)
pinakaslick-p40

Help me understand...

Post by pinakaslick-p40 »

Does anyone know why we can't get audio & video (mp3, avi, etc) files of Priesthood Session off LDS.org?

A while back, I tried emailing the lds.org administrator. I got an email back telling me that it is because Priesthood Session is not streamed on the web. However, this doesn't make sense to me because the General RS and YW sessions aren't streamed on the web either, but you can get audio & video files for those sessions. Also, you can get a video (with no sound) of the ASL, so why not audio and regular video? :(

I have no problem with it if there is a reason. It just seems to me that there is no technical reason why audio and video of Priesthood Session aren't posted.

Looking to understand!

Thanks!
opee

Post by opee »

pinakaslick wrote:Does anyone know why we can't get audio & video (mp3, avi, etc) files of Priesthood Session off LDS.org?

This same question is being discussed in the following thread. We have not heard an "official" answer to the question.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

The Priesthood session will not be made available on LDS.org. I do not know the reasons why, but it never has been. It's not streamed either.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

telfordca wrote:The Priesthood session will not be made available on LDS.org. I do not know the reasons why, but it never has been. It's not streamed either.

Just to clarify, the transcripts of the Priesthood session are indeed available on lds.org, as are ASL QuickTime videos. It's just the regular audio and video versions that are available for the other sessions, but not for the Prieshood session.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

lionelwalters wrote:For some reason, the Sunday afternoon session was not recorded, so I made arrangements to have LDSAccess enabled at our chapel so we could stream the session we had missed on the satellite.

It's probably appropriate for me to note for my Australian colleagues that I learned a week or two after Conference that LDSAccess is not an approved option for our Area and had it disabled at our meetinghouse immediately. Consequently, we're quite happily relying once again on the DVDs recorded from the satellite feed, especially now that we've worked out how to get the audio directly into the chapel sound system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lionelwalters wrote:It's probably appropriate for me to note for my Australian colleagues that I learned a week or two after Conference that LDSAccess is not an approved setup for our Area and had it disabled at our meetinghouse immediately.
Can you elaborate? It's not listed in the original memo for the states. It came along afterwords to fulfill a need. If someone is reading the original memo, they might conclude it's not authorized, but I don't know any reason why it would be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”