Family history activity report - dates

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
brendabowman

Family history activity report - dates

Post by brendabowman »

Just wondering if there’s a specific date by which the monthly Family History report is usually made available? Our stake uses it to know which ward may need a visit from a Stake consultant. We eagerly await each month’s update.

Also wondering (now that the ability for the youngest youths going to the Temple has changed) whether the number of submissions by “Youth” now captures the 11 year olds who turn 12 sometime during the year but are making a submission while still being 11?

Lastly, can there be a change to the report to reflect a breakdown of the other stats such as number of members logging on, uploading a memory, doing indexing etc to reflect the division by groups the same way the submissions are broken down by age category? That would be helpful info for ward councils to know when making ward plans. Each auxiliary may do something different based on needs.

:D
davesudweeks

Re: Family history activity report - dates

Post by davesudweeks »

brendabowman wrote:doing indexing
As the ward clerk, I run a report from the indexing site each month that lists all the members who indexed during the month, and how many they indexed or reviewed. I can see stake indexing information as well as ward information if I want it. I believe those with properly recorded "temple and family history consultant" callings can get additional reports, but I have never had that calling so that's speculation on my part.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

davesudweeks wrote:
As the ward clerk, I run a report from the indexing site each month that lists all the members who indexed during the month, and how many they indexed or reviewed. I can see stake indexing information as well as ward information if I want it. I believe those with properly recorded "temple and family history consultant" callings can get additional reports, but I have never had that calling so that's speculation on my part.
In case anyone is wondering about a use for this report. I have a standing challenge with the youth of our ward: My wife and I will buy dinner for any youth who indexes more than I do in any given month. Some adults regularly beat me, but no youth have yet... I try to index 1 batch and review 1 batch each day - so beating me is not that difficult a task if anyone is serious. I usually out-index my wife and she usually out-reviews me.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

davesudweeks wrote:
I am a ward clerk as well, but I have never heard of a clerk running a report from the indexing site. Could you provide details?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:
I am a ward clerk as well, but I have never heard of a clerk running a report from the indexing site. Could you provide details?
It is not intuitive (go figure - I stumbled on it by clicking around the page one evening):
1. Log in to FamilySearch and go to the Web Indexing page.
2. Scroll down and click on your Ward name under the Groups heading in the box that lists the ward indexing statistics (it's a link)
3. The first time you should see a blue box with instructions. If you don't see that, click on the blue "Reports" button above the right side of the graph to select the report options
4. You will probably have to experiment a little with the settings to get a report you like. You can export the report as a .csv, .pdf, Excel, etc.
5. After you have the settings where you want them, click on the blue "Generate Report" button or the Download button.
5. I run the report each month for the previous month as an Excel file. There are multiple columns that are not useful so I just manually delete them. I think you will get the idea pretty quickly.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Interesting. I have 34 members signed up to do indexing, but only 3 of them have done any work lately, for a total of 58 batches, 5 of those returned.

I don't think any of our consultants is aware of this report.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:Interesting. I have 34 members signed up to do indexing, but only 3 of them have done any work lately, for a total of 58 batches, 5 of those returned.

At least you have consultants... My wife and I have volunteered to have that role (we already help multiple people in the ward so we might as well "have the calling") but we have not had called Family History Consultants in our ward for a couple of years.

Our report is similar, lots of people on the list but only a few indexing.
bmdickinson

Post by bmdickinson »

davesudweeks wrote:
drepouille wrote: Interesting. I have 34 members signed up to do indexing, but only 3 of them have done any work lately, for a total of 58 batches, 5 of those returned.

At least you have consultants... My wife and I have volunteered to have that role (we already help multiple people in the ward so we might as well "have the calling") but we have not had called Family History Consultants in our ward for a couple of years.

Our report is similar, lots of people on the list but only a few indexing.
Interesting! I was the Branch Temple and Family History Leader called May 2019, and that allowed me access to the indexing reports that have been mentioned above. Sadly it showed a similar thing. 20+ people registered and only a handful doing anything. Personal encouragement helped, as well as mentioning it whenever I had a chance.
When our branch became a Ward at the end of October everyone was released from their callings, and then most were recalled, some changes made etc. I was not recalled until 8 days ago, so I lost all access rights to the various reports that I used to be able to access. This included the indexing reports. It turns out that because the Temple and Family History responsibility comes under the Elders Quorum President (unless someone is specifically called to be a ward or branch Temple and Family History Leader) it was the Elders Quorum President who would have had access to the reports. I do not think he knew this, but since I have been recalled, I now have access to the reports I used to have.

I was not aware that the Ward clerk could access the indexing reports, but I suppose it makes sense.

Now we have 29 people registered to index, but again, not many are currently contributing. an interesting challenge!

Keep up the great work!]
Brian

Return to “Family History”