Goals for 2007

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree?

I'm neutral
84%
I'm neutral
3%
I'm neutral
13%

Total votes: 31

WelchTC

Goals for 2007

Post by WelchTC »

It has often been said that "a goal not written is only a wish." To that end I'd like to share with you a couple of the goals that we have set for 2007 for this Web site and for the LDS technology community.

n an address given to the young adults on October 18, 1981, Elder M. Russell Ballard said:

"I would suggest that if you want to have success in the goal-setting process, you learn to write your goals down. I would even put them in a prominent place—on your mirror or on the refrigerator door" ("Go for It!" New Era, Mar. 2004,4).

I can't think of a more prominent place for me to put these goals than on this Web site. I realize that in order for us to achieve these goals, we will need everyone's help and support.

Goal #1: 10,000 Registered Users

I'd like to see the community grow much bigger than it currently is. For us to leverage the talents and capabilities of members of the Church worldwide, we need to get more users registered on this Web site. The more people we have registered, the more opinions, expertise, and experience that we can draw on to make better products and services. To reach our goal of 10,000 users for 2007, we need to hit the following monthly goals for new users.

<table style="width: 50%; text-align: left; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="background: black none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; width: 50%; color: white; text-align: center;">Month
</td> <td style="background: black none repeat scroll 0% 50%; width: 50%; color: white; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; text-align: center;">Goal
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="width: 50%; text-align: center;">March
</td> <td style="width: 50%; text-align: center;">237
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">April
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">304
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">May
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">390
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">June
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">501
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">July
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">642
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">August
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">823
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">September
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">1,056
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">October
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">1,354
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">November
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">1,737
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">December
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;">2,227
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
As you can see from these monthly goals, we have a lot to do make others aware of how they can help, but I am confident that if we all pull together we will be able to achieve our yearly goal.

Goal #2: Host Three Technical Workshops

Over the next year we will host three technical workshops. The purpose of these workshops will be to get people involved with different solutions that would benefit the Church. The workshops will have two different tracks.

1. Finding Solutions to Problems

This track will focus on specific problems that we currently face at the Church. Before the event we will publish a problem that we are trying to solve. Those attending this track would then be able to spend a few hours one evening in coming up with ideas and solutions for the problem. Obviously, the more people we have attending, the better input and possible solutions we will get.

2. Work on an Open-Source Project

Those attending this track will need to bring their laptop, and while attending the session, will roll up their sleeves and help work on an open-source project. The project that we will be working on will be announced before the meeting. During this track, attendees will actually get help setting up the development environment, getting the latest version of the source code, and getting started on specific tasks. The goal is to get more people involved with the development of various open-source projects.

These workshops will be hosted where we have a large number of community members to best leverage the help. However, we will also host some of these sessions via the Web. For example, instead of meeting at a specific location, we all meet "virtually" and use IM chat groups, the forums, and other technologies to communicate and discuss the various issues and tracks. This would allow those from other parts of the world the opportunity to attend and contribute.

As we work toward our goals for 2007, I want to thank you for your continued support and your willingness to help. It is exciting to see the growth of this community.

Tom Welch
Technology Community Manager
epoulin-p40

Goal Acheivement

Post by epoulin-p40 »

The goal is a great one. We are getting a number of bright people here, it will be great to "put us to work" rather than just sharing ideas and banter.
In order to include the number of users you hope to join LDSTech, I hope the workshops will be online workshops, not in person where only Salt Lake Valley folks can attend. If you truly want the best ideas, keep in mind they are not all local to any venue.
Eric Poulin
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I think that the workshops will be a combination of both. A goal of three is not hard to hit if the workshops are virtual but in person the logistics are more difficult.

Tom
AlexEagar-p40

Poll not clear

Post by AlexEagar-p40 »

So, what am I supposed to be agreeing or disagreeing with; that goals are important or that your goals are the right goals for you or that your goals are the right goals for the forum or something else entirely?

I'll vote when I find out what it is that I'm voting for.

By the way I joined right after reading this poll, so at very least it was useful even if the question isn't clear. Although, I must add, that it wasn't clear that there would be a e-mail confirmation, and it was quite frustrating trying to figure out why I couldn't post. I've already used the 'Contact Us' link to suggest that wherever it is stated that there is an e-mail confirmation needs to be bigger, bolder and brighter.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I believe the target of this poll is if you agree with these goals and will support them.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Personally I tend to have issues with goals. Aims and planning numbers are all well and good. Goals..... I have my issues with them.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:I believe the target of this poll is if you agree with these goals and will support them.
Correct, do you agree or disagree with the goals I've laid out.

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Personally I tend to have issues with goals. Aims and planning numbers are all well and good. Goals..... I have my issues with them.
Tom's goals seem very numeric and aiming to me...:D
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HaleDN »

Those are both commendible goals. The concern I have with the first one is that all of those new users are sticking around and not just leaving because they don't see anything they can add to the discussions. Rather than just chit-chatting about new ideas, there needs to be a sense of community with people collaborating and building stuff together. (This can be tough to do with a standard forum)

Though it isn't technical in nature, here is an online community which I have been impressed with (http://www.wetcanvas.com/) Each content channel has moderators and experts to help those just learning. Anyone that wants to can post examples of their work and ask for feedback. Experts can provide step by step tutorials of work they have done. (Granted, this may be more straightforward with artwork, but I think that we could learn a thing or two that we could apply here)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I totally agree with your concern about people dropping off. WHat other ideas do people have that would allow us to get involved and build community?

[thread=228]Here is a thread[/thread] that discusses some of the existing open source projects that you can get involved in.

[thread=245]Here is a thread[/thread] where the Church has asked for help from people to work on a specific projects.

Tom

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”