Spanish Hymn lyrics

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
kperry-p40

Spanish Hymn lyrics

Post by kperry-p40 »

I'd like to suggest that somewhere on the Church website that the Spanish lyrics to the hymns be published. We have a stake with a combination of English and Spanish speakers, and for stake conference, we publish the hymn lyrics <partially to get around the lack of hymn books> and need to also make available the Spanish lyrics.

Currently I am able to find PDFs of the Spanish hymn pages on site. But that necessitates taking the hymns a line at a time and hoping that I have keystroked correctly to take the hyphens out of the hymns. I can find the lyrics only for the English hymns.

I'm sure with larger and larger Spanish-speaking populations in the US wards and stakes, this need is growing.
D.Webanalyst-p40

Post by D.Webanalyst-p40 »

Great idea! I think it applies to other languages as well.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I know that the correlation department is looking into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom
butterfieldla-p40

English to Spanish Hymn number conversion chart

Post by butterfieldla-p40 »

Do you if there is a hymn number conversion chart from the English Hymnbook to the Spnish Hymnbook? We have a new pre-recorded electronic keyboard in our chapel in Lima, Peru. However, the pre-recorded hymns on the keyboard directory are listed in English with the English Hymnbook numbers. Of course we use the Spanish Hymnbook in our meetings, so it becomes cumbersome to try and figure out what English hymn number corresponds with the Spanish hymn we are trying to sing. A simple hymn number conversion chart would be very helpful.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Here is a PDF link or two.

http://www.lds.org/cm/Hymns_000_English ... ce_eng.pdf
http://www.lds.org/cm/Hymns_000_Espanol ... ce_spa.pdf

I also posted an Excel spreadsheet in this thread that lets you enter the English hymn number, and it gives you the Spanish hymn number and title. The specific attachment is Sample.HymnHimnos.xls. Perhaps this will suit your needs or you will be able to adapt it.

Note: there are 15 hymns in the 1992 Spanish hymnal that do not have a corresponding hymn in the 1985 English hymnal. These are Spanish hymn numbers 35, 39, 59, 62, 65, 67, 85, 88, 142, 143, 147, 152, 153, 190, and 192, and are listed at the end of the spreadsheet I mentioned above (as English hymns 401 to 415). There is also one hymn in the Spanish hymnal (# 192) that uses different lyrics than the corresponding hymn tune in English (# 107).

I would be willing to try porting this spreadsheet from Excel to OpenOffice 3.0 if there is enough interest in it.
opee

Post by opee »

butterfieldla wrote:Do you if there is a hymn number conversion chart from the English Hymnbook to the Spnish Hymnbook? We have a new pre-recorded electronic keyboard in our chapel in Lima, Peru. However, the pre-recorded hymns on the keyboard directory are listed in English with the English Hymnbook numbers. Of course we use the Spanish Hymnbook in our meetings, so it becomes cumbersome to try and figure out what English hymn number corresponds with the Spanish hymn we are trying to sing. A simple hymn number conversion chart would be very helpful.

I seems that it might be nice if they could have different hymnal languages programmed into the pianos that go out. Are there language settings on those pianos? Do they only list the hymns in English?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:I seems that it might be nice if they could have different hymnal languages programmed into the pianos that go out. Are there language settings on those pianos? Do they only list the hymns in English?
This is the first I've heard of a "pre-recorded electronic keyboard", but I'm guessing it's a MIDI file. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to have it programed with a regionally appropriate file. I would hope the keyboards are updatable since we have changed Hymn books in the past and could well do so at some time in the future.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Yes, there are some electronic pianos that go out, these are not the small portable keyboards that you see in Distribution Services stores or the catalog.

What I have heard is it has nearly 200 hymns and some childrens songs programmed in already, just press a button, and it plays the desired hymn with introduction and all verses. You only hear the music, the congregation in the meeting sings the words.

I've heard these are commonly put in the RS rooms or Primary room, have not heard if any have shown up in the chapel yet. However, I have also heard a report of a couple of organ installations that have this feature now, this would only be on electronic organs, not the pipe organs that do occasionally get installed now and then.
opee

Post by opee »

JamesAnderson wrote:Yes, there are some electronic pianos that go out, these are not the small portable keyboards that you see in Distribution Services stores or the catalog.

What I have heard is it has nearly 200 hymns and some childrens songs programmed in already, just press a button, and it plays the desired hymn with introduction and all verses. You only hear the music, the congregation in the meeting sings the words.

I've heard these are commonly put in the RS rooms or Primary room, have not heard if any have shown up in the chapel yet. However, I have also heard a report of a couple of organ installations that have this feature now, this would only be on electronic organs, not the pipe organs that do occasionally get installed now and then.

I have seen them in chapels of small branches too. I don't remember seeing them with language settings though...but they do have selected hymns from the hymn book and primary song book.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jbh001 wrote:Here is a PDF link or two.

http://www.lds.org/cm/Hymns_000_English ... ce_eng.pdf
http://www.lds.org/cm/Hymns_000_Espanol ... ce_spa.pdf

I also posted an Excel spreadsheet in this thread that lets you enter the English hymn number, and it gives you the Spanish hymn number and title.
I have received some private messages indicating that some are unable to find the link to the spreadsheet. The link to the post containing the spreadsheet was embedded in the quoted text above (which I have now bolded in the quote), but it might have been easy to not notice the original link due to the default color scheme of this message board.

The attachment is labeled Sample.HymnsHimnos.xls, and can be found at the end of this post: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post10417

If you still have trouble finding the thread or the attachment, or have trouble getting the spreadsheet to work, let me know.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”