Church encouragement for Gospel Library app

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
thebundok

Church encouragement for Gospel Library app

Post by thebundok »

I recall seeing somewhere, either on the website or as official communication, the church's encouragement for members to use digital books/manuals where possible in order to reduce paper waste and printing.

I'm trying to get my ward to cut down on ordering from the store. They frequently ask me to order manuals and over the course of the year maybe only a handful get picked up and even fewer actually used.

Am I mis-remembering or does this encouragement/communication actually exist somewhere? I can't seem to find it again. Would be very grateful if anyone could point me to it so I can use it to strengthen my case.
kd7mha

Re: Church encouragement for Gospel Library app

Post by kd7mha »

from the 2016 curriculum announcement

https://www.lds.org/church/news/2016-cu ... s?lang=eng
Use digital manuals where possible

Where possible, students and teachers are encouraged to use digital versions of 2016 curriculum materials, which can be found online and in the LDS Gospel Library mobile app. If you haven't tried the app, now is a good time to experience the ease of preparing, teaching, and learning from a library of gospel resources that fits in your pocket.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

Yes! This is it! Thank you.

Wish I could give you "rep" or "kudos" or something. Thanks for posting this. :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

See also the Instructions for Curriculum 2019:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 9?lang=eng
Wards and branches may already have printed copies of some of these materials. Consider the following questions to help you avoid ordering more printed copies than needed:
• How many printed copies of each item does your unit already have available?
• How many teachers and members use digital versions of materials rather than printed copies?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

sbradshaw wrote:See also the Instructions for Curriculum 2019:
Another great source, thanks sbradshaw!
sbirk

Post by sbirk »

If someone could just get the stupid app to work...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbirk wrote:If someone could just get the stupid app to work...
The app works just fine. If you would care to provide a few more specific details, such as device, OS, error message(s) you are receiving, etc., someone here may have experienced the problem and have a solution.

The best method, of course, is to submit feedback through the app, if possible. But if not, there is an email address, and there is a lot of experience here at the forum. You will find details in one of the specific Gospel Library sub-topics: Android, iPhone/iPad, or Windows.
sbirk

Post by sbirk »

lajackson wrote:
sbirk wrote:If someone could just get the stupid app to work...
The app works just fine. If you would care to provide a few more specific details, such as device, OS, error message(s) you are receiving, etc., someone here may have experienced the problem and have a solution.

The best method, of course, is to submit feedback through the app, if possible. But if not, there is an email address, and there is a lot of experience here at the forum. You will find details in one of the specific Gospel Library sub-topics: Android, iPhone/iPad, or Windows.
I apologize for my snarky comment... :) I was frustrated after spending too much time over a couple weeks trying to resolve the problem myself.

Here is my more composed post that went into the GL for Windows forum...

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro running VMWare Fusion 11.0 with Windows 10 Home Edition installed as a virtual machine.

When I start GL, I get the screen that says the catalog is downloading. Then, I sign in with my LDS account info. I then get the configuration screen for the theme, colors, etc. I've clicked on both the Next button and the Skip This Step button. The program asks if I want to download some books. I've clicked both the Yes and No buttons. After this, the app screen goes white and does nothing.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I've done the Windows app reset procedure. I've thrown the laptop out the window... no, not really, but by this time, I'm so frustrated with the app not working that I feel like doing it.

Under VMWare, I have a Windows 8 virtual machine, also. I've tried installing GL on the Windows 8 virtual machine and I get the same results.

Anyone familiar with virtual machines who might have experienced this problem and figured out how to resolve it?

Thanks.

If you can shed any light on this for me, I'd appreciate it!

Scott
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbirk wrote:I was frustrated after spending too much time over a couple weeks trying to resolve the problem myself.
Not a problem. I completely understand.

Hopefully, someone at the GL for Windows topic will respond. Someone there might also know the email address to use to send feedback to the developers for that platform since it seems you would not be able to do it through the program at this point.

I have read enough to know that the Windows version of GL appears to be quite persnickety, but I have not seen enough to know what to do about it. I hope someone following GL for Windows will know something. They will post there if they do. But remember that this is still just a user-to-user forum.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

You can contact the support team at GospelLibrary-Win@ChurchOfJesusChrist.org and they can start a dialog with you to help you troubleshoot issues you may be having.

The Gospel Library for Windows version is built by volunteers and it is often difficult to keep up with the ever changing content structures from the Church. Often the app will be working fine for months, and then a change in the content is introduced which breaks the app. The team is getting better at hearing about breaking changes coming in advance of the change, but it is still a challenging factor.

The most recent structural change came in Version 5.0+ of all the apps on the all platforms. Major improvements in book size, catalog size, splitting catalogs by languages, search structure changes, etc. It was a major accomplishment to release the Gospel Library for Windows version just shortly after the Android and iOS versions shipped.

There are still some feature parity issues between GLW and the other platforms, but things are improving. Providing feedback to the support link is the best way to help the team troubleshoot issues in the wild.

Return to “Gospel Library”