Calendar 3.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Post by lajackson »

What does it mean when the calendar is loading and little red banners enter from the right side saying System Error? I often get two of them. There is no other message. I see a little circle ! but clicking on it does nothing. The fix seems to be to reload the calendar and hope they do not reappear.

Another one that shows up a lot is Timeout Error, which sometimes appears even when the calendar loads in three seconds. Is that considered too slow?

When these show up, the calendar data still appears to be fine, but should I be wary that items may be missing or incorrect?

Sometimes you can click them off with the little X on the right, but not always.

Does it have anything to do with the big black X that briefly flashes before the page loads?
rickk

Post by rickk »

Question about scheduling facilities - with the previous calendar, an admin could schedule a facility even if general scheduling had not yet been enabled. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Is this a bug that will be fixed, or is that the new intended behavior? That prevents us from putting high priority events on the calendar before opening things up to anyone...
casper684

Post by casper684 »

I agree with lajackson post below.

I am a Stake Center Bldg Scheduler and use the month view to review all activities scheduled
in the building. But now can only see one event and + more and must review each week instead. Much more difficult. Hope there
is a fix for that soon. ALSO from what I could see restrictions show up for everyone to see now. I prefer the "conflict" popup if someone tried
to schedule on a restricted time. BUT thank you for NOT removing restrictions.

Julie

Unread postby lajackson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Well sadly, my first impression is that the new Month view is practically worthless. The actual calendar portion of the display is squished to use the available screen space with no scrolling.

That might not be so bad if the calendar started before the middle of the page. But by the time the Church logo is displayed, along with the banner menu underneath it, and the top of the calendar margin, there is only slightly more than half of a display screen left. So when the monthly calendar is crammed into the remaining space, each day shows only one event and then a line that says "+n More".

Is there a setting to display more than two lines in the Monthly view? I never minded scrolling up and down to see the month. The main reason I use the calendar is to review everything and then select certain items to put on my personal calendar. I could easily do that before with only a couple of dates that overflowed their box. Now I would have to click on 30 little boxes to make sure I saw everything.

This is a step backward for me.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

We have several bugs that we hope to have fixed by next week.
1. System errors seen by some. A timing race condition needs fixed. Refresh the page and things should be fine. But we will get rid of those.
2. Sync is only syncing 3 months ahead. We will change that to 12 months ahead
3. At times when you click "more" from the month view, the pulldown goes off the screen without a scroll bar. If you are on a desktop user, try zooming your browser out a little to work around it and see more events on a day.
4. Admins can't be deleted. Get a system error. If you have a pressing one that needs to be deleted, contact me
5. Stray html seen on a location page and on the sync url page
Others.

Coming later.
1. Slim lds.org header so the month calendar can use more of the space.
2. Improve the print format for the month view. It cuts off the number of events for each day, black/white control doesn't work.

Answering an above question about turning scheduling off. In the old system it was never intended to turn off scheduling if future events existed. That cause the calendar to be in a very buggy state. Scheduling can only be turned off if all future events have been moved or deleted from the location.
rickk

Post by rickk »

Answering an above question about turning scheduling off. In the old system it was never intended to turn off scheduling if future events existed. That cause the calendar to be in a very buggy state. Scheduling can only be turned off if all future events have been moved or deleted from the location.
I had it turned off before the upgrade and it is currently turned off. As I mentioned, before the upgrade, a building scheduler was still able to schedule events even with it off. One of our schedulers tried to add an event after the update and the location is not available in the facilities pull down. It sounds like if I turn it on, then I won’t be able to turn it off again unless the calendar is clear in the future? And while it is off no one, including schedulers can schedule events?

Rick
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

We were going to turn on scheduling for all calendars that still have future events to get them out of this buggy state. So yes, you should turn it on. If you don't want the building to be scheduled, move off or delete the future events. In locations and rooms you can generate a list of those events.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

The development team reconsidered automatically turning scheduling on for locations that have future events scheduled so we wouldn't surprise anyone. Looks like for now, we will leave it as is. But those future events are stuck until scheduling is turned back on. I don't think a building scheduler can edit them and couldn't in 2.0 either, thus the buggy state. We know some stakes were trying to do this to prevent wards from scheduling themselves to try to get all scheduling flowing through the building scheduler, but the system was never designed for this model and the help files tell users otherwise, so it would generate many calls and feedback to church headquarters. In locations and rooms we now highlight strongly those locations that have scheduling turned off.
rickk

Post by rickk »

Yes, there were issues with changing those events when scheduling is disabled. They could always be deleted and they could be edited if they were recurring. Single events with a location were “stuck” as you note. However, for those of us who have been able to get by doing central scheduling in spite of those issue, the update has completely eliminated the option of using the church calendar while doing central scheduling. I guess it’s time for someone to do mobile app project... :P
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Yes that central scheduling trick really confused members, especially those moving into stakes trying to do that after they used the calendar as documented.
dana.jeffs

Post by dana.jeffs »

This new version 3.0 calendar software is so dysfunctional, I almost want to go back to a PC based piece of software. I saw this software for the first time yesterday, 2/28/19, It's horrible! 3.0 should have retained all of the good functionality and printing it had with the upgrade to 3.0 adding even more enhancements. On a scale of 0 - 10, the prior version probably had us at a level 7 or 8, but 3.0 took us back to a 2 or 3. It doesn't look like nearly enough testing of the software in a beta mode was done. I am just sick over it. Please put the prior version back online until the version is REALLY ready to implement.

Return to “Calendar”