Visiting Teacher/ Home Teaching Suggestions

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
D.Webanalyst-p40

Visiting Teacher/ Home Teaching Suggestions

Post by D.Webanalyst-p40 »

Due to my calling I have been experimenting with various tools to help with Visiting Teaching. The same tools could apply to Home Teaching. Although I am using pre-designed tools, the same applications could enhance the new VT/HT project.

1-Google Docs - This type of application allows me to create a form showing my VT assignments and then send a link to others who may need the same information. I can choose to add them as only viewers or to allow them to change the doc. This has been a help in speeding up changes in assignments, etc. My docs have been color coded as well to help with quick identification.

2- E-Cards - This has been a fun tool to send VT reminders to my district and has also been a wonderful way to brighten my own visiting sisters day. I would love to see this application included in the VT/HT project with e-cards specific to gospel principles and on various subjects such as loss, new baby, etc. It has been a great asset to send a quick ecard to my VT sisters. Being able to access these cards quickly from the program would be a wonderful addition.

3- Email for assigned groups. I know this is part of the project. I have experimented with sending email to my district and to my own assigned VT sisters. Most use email and have appreciated getting an email from me. Although individual emails are sent, I also send a group email a couple of times a month as well. The sisters have enjoyed receiving the personal messages and reminders I have sent to them this way.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

D.Webanalyst-p40

wiki

I saw it but didn't see any applications like the ones I listed. Maybe I am missing something but I'm not seeing where to add ideas on the project.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

At the bottom of the main page in the "Project Articles" section is the "Home Teaching / Visiting Teaching Conceptual Design" article.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:At the bottom of the main page in the "Project Articles" section is the "Home Teaching / Visiting Teaching Conceptual Design" article.
I can see her hesitation to post new feature requests in the Wiki. It's pretty much true that the features for version 1 of the appliation are locked. We cannot afford to take on too many features in the first version of the first community project, or we will never finish. The other issue is that if we make it too complicated the first go-around, it may just fail completely. The main goal of version 1 of the HT/VT Community Project is to create a replica of ReturnAndReport.org, in all honesty.

This says nothing about subsequent versions of the application however. Suggestions for feature requests are definitely welcome. Perhaps a wiki page could be made to list feature requests for version 2; then again, maybe it would be better to make such recommendations after version 1 is out.

So anyways, I can see her hesitation to put it in the Wiki. This thread is probably a good place for now. There is another thread linked to the Community project found here:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1843
brado426

Post by brado426 »

mkmurray wrote:I can see her hesitation to post new feature requests in the Wiki. It's pretty much true that the features for version 1 of the appliation are locked. We cannot afford to take on too many features in the first version of the first community project, or we will never finish. The other issue is that if we make it too complicated the first go-around, it may just fail completely. The main goal of version 1 of the HT/VT Community Project is to create a replica of ReturnAndReport.org, in all honesty.

This says nothing about subsequent versions of the application however. Suggestions for feature requests are definitely welcome. Perhaps a wiki page could be made to list feature requests for version 2; then again, maybe it would be better to make such recommendations after version 1 is out.

So anyways, I can see her hesitation to put it in the Wiki. This thread is probably a good place for now. There is another thread linked to the Community project found here:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1843

I don't see a problem with creating a "Phase 2 wish-list" section in the Wiki for anyone that wants to post their ideas now so that they don't get lost.

Brad O.
D.Webanalyst-p40

Thanks. Both ideas are great. Foresight is something to consider as well. I have seen programs created and then not friendly to additional features later because there was no consideration given to them at conceptualization. I admit I am from a marketing background rather than a programming background, and in my Internet Department Management experience I have seen time and time again problems in trying to integrate programs together that don't quite want to talk to each other. Small companies do this all the time. Create a system that works for them in the short term, as they grow the system no longer meets their needs and they are then trying to integrate new programs and systems to fill the gaps. It ends up a mess and often programs have to be completely rewritten. I understand the goal of the project to be reporting and agree that is a wonderful need. I am also wondering if adding some user friendly functions to support the callings and the people are in order as well. They could be done in another phase. It would be helpful to anticipate what those phases may entail and plan ahead for their integration. Just my thoughts.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”