Getting E-mails saying I requested PW reset-but didn't

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
bjallred

Getting E-mails saying I requested PW reset-but didn't

Post by bjallred »

I am getting multiple e-mails saying I requested a password reset. In the e-mail is a code needed for a password reset. I did not, however, request a password reset. The times of each e-mail seem to be correlated to times that I logged in to my account or synced my LDS tools.

Is there a bug in sending these things out, or is someone trying to hack my account?

B
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Getting E-mails saying I requested PW reset-but didn't

Post by russellhltn »

bjallred wrote:I am getting multiple e-mails saying I requested a password reset. In the e-mail is a code needed for a password reset. I did not, however, request a password reset.
Sometimes a person mis-remembers their user name and they end up trying to reset someone else's account. However,
bjallred wrote:The times of each e-mail seem to be correlated to times that I logged in to my account or synced my LDS tools.
That's a strange one.

By chance are you a church employee or someone who has to regularly change their password? If it really is in response to your logins, it sounds like a bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bjallred

Post by bjallred »

Not a church employee, don't change this password often at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Without others reporting the same thing, I'm going to guess it's a case of someone mis-remembering their ID who just so happens to have the same login pattern as you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I would send feedback through LDS Tools and ask them if the app may be attempting to sign in (it probably is) and whether or not that may be triggering the email from LDS Account.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

It means that someone has stepped into a back door that sysadmins aren’t interested in solving (see above response by an admin). I’ve tried to call and report this, but wasn’t elevated even though I asked to speak to a supervisor — amateurs answering the phones? Seriously?

I’ve thought and debated with myself about publishing the method on-line to force admins at the church to take it seriously, but if they won’t care, how can a fairly random (and very concerned) member make them? It can’t happen.

Maybe the Dark Web minions can motivate them.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cheerioboy wrote:I’ve thought and debated with myself about publishing the method on-line to force admins at the church to take it seriously, . . .
Rather than do that, I would suggest that you contact them directly at this security link.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

Thanks. A tedious effort to get some progress going on it, but thanks.

Return to “Church Account”