Reprinting 2004 Donor Statment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
midiman-p40

Reprinting 2004 Donor Statment

Post by midiman-p40 »

Greetings,

I have a member in my ward who is being audited and needs a copy of his 2004 donor statement. I went to print it from MLS, but the system only retains data back to 2005. Any idea how I can obtain that information for him?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Unless you have a MLS backup from 2007, I think your only option is to refer him to Church Headquarters. In the US, local units are only obligated to keep 3 years plus current year. That why you have 2005 but not 2004.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
midiman-p40

Post by midiman-p40 »

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a number he should call?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd give him the main 800 number and have him ask the operator.

Otherwise, I guess you can call clerk support and see if they've got any ideas. But the risk there is that you'll be stuck with the task of telling him "sorry".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SmithGW

Reprinting Donor Statement

Post by SmithGW »

Midiman asked:
I have a member in my ward who is being audited and needs a copy of his 2004 donor statement. I went to print it from MLS, but the system only retains data back to 2005. Any idea how I can obtain that information for him?
To receive this information from Church headquarters, you must fill out a Contribution Information Request form. If you send an e-mail to member.support@ldschurch.org, they can either mail or fax you this form. Then, after they receive it back, it will be 5 to 10 working days before you receive your donation statement. Sorry there isn't a faster method.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smithgw wrote:To receive this information from Church headquarters, you must fill out a Contribution Information Request form. If you send an e-mail to member.support@ldschurch.org, they can either mail or fax you this form. Then, after they receive it back, it will be 5 to 10 working days before you receive your donation statement. Sorry there isn't a faster method.

The form is also available on the LDSClerks wiki at http://www.ldsclerks.org/index.php?titl ... Statements
midiman-p40

Post by midiman-p40 »

Thanks everyone for your replies!
greggo

Post by greggo »

I thought that the reason we are directed to only retain records for the current year plus the previous 3 years was that this was the minimum required by law (in the US), and that an IRS audit would only needrecords for these years.

If this is the case, then the auditor should not need anything from 2004. Or maybe the requirements are different for personal vs. for a charitable organization's records. Does anyone here know?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Greggo wrote:If this is the case, then the auditor should not need anything from 2004. Or maybe the requirements are different for personal vs. for a charitable organization's records. Does anyone here know?
At least for personal returns the statue of limitations is 6 years if the gross income was under reported by more than 25% of the amount reported on the return. Also, there is no limit in cases of fraud.

So the audit could go back further if the auditor has evidence that either is the case.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

This thread has gotten off subject.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”