Did You Know The "Help" Link Doesn't Help?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
Striplingwarrior2002

Did You Know The "Help" Link Doesn't Help?

Post by Striplingwarrior2002 »

To Whom It May Concern,

Soooo.... I'm not having any trouble, but a wife of a ward member of my boss got locked out of their account. Their email associated with the account isn't in use/available anymore. Well, if the wife was the only one in the house with a LDS account it'd be very very hard to get help.

Why? :? Because I just found out along with my boss that going to https://account.lds.org/help/ if you're NOT logged in doesn't lead one to anywhere but the log-in page. :?: Not a help page for forgetting a password or username like it should, in addition I had to log-in AGAIN before I could post this. How is someone supposed to get help if they're unable to search or ask? It's like people "who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it." ;)

I probably won't check back here for any answers, but just thought someone should know. Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Sincerely,
CK Stratford
Last edited by jdlessley on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove promotional links.
Sincerely,
CK Stratford :D

Feel free to follow me @ https://twitter.com/CKStratford :D
Feel free to follow me @ https://www.youtube.com/user/BomWarriorVlog :D
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Did You Know The "Help" Link Doesn't Help?

Post by scgallafent »

In that situation, you can use the "Forgot your username" and "Forgot your password" links on the login page to get help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think what the OP is trying to say is that the "Help" link on the login page just goes back to the login page. Kinda pointless.

As to the "Forgot" links, I wonder if they should be underlined so it's more obvious that it's a link. Because for some reason, a lot people seem to be blind to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I agree it's not the ideal configuration. I just wanted to provide a path for someone who ends up here after a Google search and can't figure out where to go.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:As to the "Forgot" links, I wonder if they should be underlined so it's more obvious that it's a link. Because for some reason, a lot people seem to be blind to them.
I hate it when links on a page are not obvious by looking at the page. I don't like to move my mouse around text because that often brings pop-ups on many sites. But if the "link" just looks like all the other text on the page, no one will know unless they spend time moving their mouse around the page or tapping random locations.

A design that does not obviously show which text has links and which is just text is terrible, in my book.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

scgallafent wrote:In that situation, you can use the "Forgot your username" and "Forgot your password" links on the login page to get help.
Those links will take you to the Account Recovery page, which is indeed helpful. But it's also interesting to note that once you get to the Account Recovery page, you CAN access the help page for LDS Account without being signed in. The Help link from Account Recovery works just fine and you can access all of the help system from there. But all of the URLs you'll see in your browser throughout the process of viewing the help system still will take you to the login page if you use them as bookmarks or copy and paste the URLs. That's indeed frustrating.

Return to “Church Account”