Sunday School Attendance Rolls

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jimthompsn

Sunday School Attendance Rolls

Post by jimthompsn »

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place; first time doing this.

In printing out the attendance rolls for the new quarter, I expected to see all students assigned to their now-appropriate age groups. That is, that current 11-year-olds (those who will turn 12 in 2019) would be included on the Course 12 roll, 12-year-olds in Course 13, etc. Not so. Actually, 11-yo’s are listed instead on a separate “Course 11” roll.
(I also rather expected the dates to be adjusted to reflect the new twice-a-month schedule, but that hasn't happened, either.)

In our ward we combine age groups, so Courses 12 & 13 are together, Courses 14 & 15, and Courses 16 & 17.
I’ve placed the “Course 11” roll sheet into the teachers' attendance folder for Courses 12 & 13, the “Course 13” sheet into the 14–15 folder, etc.
I calculate that each teacher should thus have the correct lists for his/her own class.

Question: There’s only one student on the Course 17 roll (he turns 18 next November). Should he now go to the Gospel Doctrine class?

Also, I understand that the Gospel Principles (“Investigator”) class and the Family History class no longer exist, even though those rolls still show up on the Church’s website. Is that correct?
I welcome any and all (authoritative) guidance and/or corrections.

Thanks!
Jim Thompson
East Ridge Ward Sunday School secretary
Albuquerque, NM Stake
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Sunday School Attendance Rolls

Post by scgallafent »

Since you do not have anyone in your ward with a January 1 birthday, I'm going to ignore that edge case. The definitions below are not 100% precise when accounting for that case, but they will get the job done.
jimthompsn wrote:In printing out the attendance rolls for the new quarter, I expected to see all students assigned to their now-appropriate age groups. That is, that current 11-year-olds (those who will turn 12 in 2019) would be included on the Course 12 roll, 12-year-olds in Course 13, etc. Not so. Actually, 11-yo’s are listed instead on a separate “Course 11” roll.
The Valiant 11 Primary class consisted of members who were age 11 on January 1. That has been replaced by Course 11, which consists of members who are age 11 on January 1 and will turn 12 during the year. The system is working correctly.
jimthompsn wrote:In our ward we combine age groups, so Courses 12 & 13 are together, Courses 14 & 15, and Courses 16 & 17.
I’ve placed the “Course 11” roll sheet into the teachers' attendance folder for Courses 12 & 13, the “Course 13” sheet into the 14–15 folder, etc.
I calculate that each teacher should thus have the correct lists for his/her own class.
Had this change not happened, you would have had a Course 12 & 13 class (members age 12 or 13 on January 1), a Course 14 & 15 class (age 14 or 15 on January 1), and a Course 16 & 17 class (age 16 or 17 on January 1). With the change you made, you now have:
Course 11 & 12 (ages 11 and 12 on January 1)
Course 13 & 14 (ages 13 and 14 on January 1)
Course 15 & 16 (ages 15 and 16 on January 1)

Whether that is how you want to group the classes is up to you and your bishop.

Effectively, the Sunday School course number still corresponds with the age at the beginning of the year except for a person with a January 1 birthday (a member with a January 1 birthday is 13 for the entire time they are in Course 12).
jimthompsn wrote:(I also rather expected the dates to be adjusted to reflect the new twice-a-month schedule, but that hasn't happened, either.)
Good observation. I don't remember anyone bringing that up as we worked on these changes.
jimthompsn wrote:Question: There’s only one student on the Course 17 roll (he turns 18 next November). Should he now go to the Gospel Doctrine class?
That is up to the bishop and the parents. They should review section 8.8 in Handbook 2 and use that information to guide their decision. There is similar information in section 10.1.5 for eighteen-year-old young women.
jimthompsn wrote:Also, I understand that the Gospel Principles (“Investigator”) class and the Family History class no longer exist, even though those rolls still show up on the Church’s website. Is that correct?
That is correct. They should disappear before Sunday.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

scgallafent wrote:
jimthompsn wrote:Also, I understand that the Gospel Principles (“Investigator”) class and the Family History class no longer exist, even though those rolls still show up on the Church’s website. Is that correct?
They are gone now.
starkef

Post by starkef »

I cannot figure out how to access rolls to print out. Used to get from my account “leader and clerk resources”. Tried that today with no success. How do I get rolls to print?
Starke.1@hotmail.com
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

jonesrk wrote:
scgallafent wrote:
They are gone now.
the classes are gone but the class members are now not assigned to any SS class
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

Update: It appears that everyone is showing on the Gospel Doctrine class roll just not showing on the class list in LCR.
if I look at the class assignment for one of the Members missing from the list their class assignment is blank
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kd7mha wrote: if I look at the class assignment for one of the Members missing from the list their class assignment is blank
I've passed the info on to the developer who can clean those up. They should get taken care of.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jonesrk wrote:
kd7mha wrote: if I look at the class assignment for one of the Members missing from the list their class assignment is blank
I've passed the info on to the developer who can clean those up. They should get taken care of.
It looks like that has finished.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

jonesrk wrote:
jonesrk wrote:
It looks like that has finished.
confirmed
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kd7mha wrote:Update: It appears that everyone is showing on the Gospel Doctrine class roll just not showing on the class list in LCR.
Is the current class called "Gospel Doctrine"?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”