Sending email to members from leaders

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
davesudweeks

Re: Sending email to members from leaders

Post by davesudweeks »

davidpladgeman wrote:Could this be used to send a ward newsletter and if so,how could members unsubscribe?
The only way for members to "unsubscribe" would be to remove their email address from their contact information. Or whomever is sending the newsletter can manually delete email addresses from each email distribution for members who do not desire to receive the newsletters.

Bear in mind that if too many members mark the ward's newsletter as spam, their ISP could begin blocking emails from the individual sending them, which could affect their ability to communicate other messages via email as well. I advise caution regarding sending mass emails to ward members who did not request (or agree) to be included in the distribution.
klricks

Post by klricks »

davidpladgeman wrote:Could this be used to send a ward newsletter and if so,how could members unsubscribe?
Yes you could use it to send a newsletter or whatever.
You can compose the text online or copy&paste or add an attachment.

Regarding subscribing... You would need to maintain your own list of un-subscribers and manually remove the person(s) each time.
(I don't know why anyone who has their email address listed in LDS.org would object to getting a newsletter??? If they object they can remove their email address and get nothing).

Once you have composed your message you choose recipients from the pick-lists. eg all members
Then a window will pop up showing the list.
For your purpose it would probably be easier to click the [select all] button, then referencing your own list of un-subscribers, scroll through the list and un-select anyone who does not want the newsletter.
Assistant Ward Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

klricks wrote:(I don't know why anyone who has their email address listed in LDS.org would object to getting a newsletter??? If they object they can remove their email address and get nothing).
Oh, I can imagine why. The member may want their email in the system so others can contact them - perhaps in relation to their calling or responsibilities. But that doesn't mean that they want to receive frequent emails that doesn't contain information pertinent to them. (Such as Primary or Youth announcements to a childless member.) Or is viewed as being just so much blah, blah, blah.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

russellhltn wrote:
klricks wrote:(I don't know why anyone who has their email address listed in LDS.org would object to getting a newsletter??? If they object they can remove their email address and get nothing).
Oh, I can imagine why. ...
I'll second that.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
Oh, I can imagine why. The member may want their email in the system so others can contact them - perhaps in relation to their calling or responsibilities. But that doesn't mean that they want to receive frequent emails that doesn't contain information pertinent to them. (Such as Primary or Youth announcements to a childless member.) Or is viewed as being just so much blah, blah, blah.
This is me, exactly.
"The problem with the person who is good with a hammer, is they tend to see everything as a nail." Those who like lots of digital communication tend to think everyone else wants it, too...

The challenge for leaders is: how do we learn to communicate with different members in the way that is effective FOR THEM? For some units, mass emails or texts are perfect - for other units they are perfect for a subset of members and not for others. If we were ministering correctly, we would know which members need mass emails or texts, which need phone calls, which need postal mailings, and which need a personalized visit as the communication method.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

rmrichesjr wrote: Content-Type: text/plain; name="Ward FHE flyer.pdf"
I didn't work on the attachments, so I'm not sure what the code does there. I'll have QA double-check this.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There was a bug that was related to this. It sounds like it was fixed about a week ago. Are you still seeing this issue?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

scgallafent wrote:There was a bug that was related to this. It sounds like it was fixed about a week ago. Are you still seeing this issue?
Cool!!!

The most recent message I received through that mechanism was on December 11. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can send a message to myself to verify.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I send out a weekly newsletter to over 300 members each week using Send a Message. Occasionally I will have someone request that their name be removed from the mailing list. I am the membership clerk so I remove their email address from their record. I try to retain a copy of the email address in case it is ever needed again. And BTW, Send a Massage has improved much in the last year, allowing color text and other formatting.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

rmrichesjr wrote:
scgallafent wrote:There was a bug that was related to this. It sounds like it was fixed about a week ago. Are you still seeing this issue?
Cool!!!

The most recent message I received through that mechanism was on December 11. When I have a chance, I'll see if I can send a message to myself to verify.
Thanks again for the news that the bug is fixed. I finally got a few minutes to send myself a message with a PDF attachment, and the Content-Type strings appeared to be correct.

Return to “Main Church Website”