Clerk and Bishopric member verification step

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
martybess

Clerk and Bishopric member verification step

Post by martybess »

I've been recently called as the branch clerk and did a new signature card for the bank but when the bishopric member and I counted donations and went to "authorize the transaction" and send donation information to the administration office only the bishopric members were in the system as approved to authorize the transaction, I was not in the system. Where do I go in settings to allow me to be approved to do the "two member verification"? I entered my username and password many times as a bishopric member in the past but the clerk was always the other member who put in his username and password to approve the transaction so I know it can be set as such.

Thanks
davesudweeks

Re: Clerk and Bishopric member verification step

Post by davesudweeks »

For the United States:

Your calling must be recorded correctly in MLS and (I believe) a send/receive must be done. Your calling must be either clerk, assistant clerk, or assistant clerk-finance. It must be a "standard calling" not a "custom calling."

MLS will not allow two bishopric/branch presidency members to authorize a donation - one must be a clerk. If you are still listed in MLS as a counselor in the branch presidency, that is likely the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's multiple parts to this: I believe your login in MLS must have "finance" rights, your login must be connected to your membership record, and your calling has to be synced to MLS from LCR by doing a send/receive after the calling has been entered in LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

davesudweeks wrote:For the United States:

MLS will not allow two bishopric/branch presidency members to authorize a donation - one must be a clerk. If you are still listed in MLS as a counselor in the branch presidency, that is likely the problem.
"MLS will not allow ..." Is this a new restriction? I'm certain I've been party to such a procedure (more than once), and don't recall any problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Looking at Handbook 1: 14.6.2, it would seem that two bishopric members are fine. What would be prohibited is two clerks.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My comment was from past experience. Two bishopric members tried to process tithing when our Assistant Clerk-finance was ill and I was on National Guard duty (ward clerk). Both bishopric members have been able to approve donations before and after this event. However, in this case, MLS would not allow them to verify the donation and the error message indicated that one of the approvals "must be a clerk."

I had to meet up at the church with the bishop later in the evening so we could submit the batch and drop the deposit at the bank. Perhaps the handbook allows 2 bishopric members to do the donation, but in our case (about a year ago) MLS required a bishopric member and a clerk as the signatories for the batch.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote:My comment was from past experience.
I think there was a bug and it has been fixed, but I am not certain. If there are confirmed recent problems, Feedback should be sent.

The bishopric and clerks must be in standard positions at LCR. Afterward, MLS must complete a Send/Receive to put those brethren into the same positions in MLS. Finally, the bishopric and clerks must have Financial privileges associated with their logins in MLS.

After that, two members of the bishopric or one clerk and a member of the bishopric should be able to authorize a donation deposit.
darpatty1

Post by darpatty1 »

Im President Darell G. Richards of the Holladay 7th Branch. I need to sign this quarters financial report
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

darpatty1 wrote:I need to sign this quarters financial report
The last time I needed to do this, the clerk printed out the signature page and he and I signed it. And it was a monthly report.

Has the process changed?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:
darpatty1 wrote:I need to sign this quarters financial report
The last time I needed to do this, the clerk printed out the signature page and he and I signed it. And it was a monthly report.

Has the process changed?
I don't think the process has changed. The monthly financial report can be printed from LCR or from MLS, but it must be printed and signed - there is no option to digitally sign as I understand. Both a clerk and the bishop must sign - this is something our auditor checks during the financial audit.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”