Sending email to members from leaders

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
growlesmt

Sending email to members from leaders

Post by growlesmt »

I'm a High Priests Group Leader and want to email the members of our quorum. I know I can do it on lds.tools but only if I use my iphone or ipad. Is there a way to email members of my ward high priest group using leader and clerk resources on lds.org?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Sending email to members from leaders

Post by rmrichesjr »

growlesmt wrote:I'm a High Priests Group Leader and want to email the members of our quorum. I know I can do it on lds.tools but only if I use my iphone or ipad. Is there a way to email members of my ward high priest group using leader and clerk resources on lds.org?
If I understand correctly, you should be able to do that:
  • Go to lds.org
    Sign in to your LDS Account.
    Go to your ward directory.
    Make sure it's showing your ward and not the stake or another unit.
    In the left-hand menu, click on 'Ward Organizations'.
    In the second column from the left, click on 'High Priests'.
    In the right-hand column, click on 'Email all High Priests'.
That should produce a pop-up from which you can copy-paste a list of email addresses.

(Disclaimer: I'm a ward membership clerk, but I can see that list, and I'm of the understanding that quorum/group leadership has that capability, as well.)
adamjadesmith

Post by adamjadesmith »

Can you email the entire ward / branch?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

The Send a Message application will allow you to email the entire ward/branch (or a subset of the entire ward/branch). I would advise caution - just because members have their email address on their profile doesn't mean they want a bunch of emails for things they may not be interested in.

I'm not sure what would happen if a bunch of members (who happen to have the same ISP) mark your email blast as spam.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I'm not sure what would happen if a bunch of members (who happen to have the same ISP) mark your email blast as spam.
My guess is that if a number of members with the same provider (gmail, yahoo, etc) were to mark it as spam, others who use the same provider may not see future emails.

So, I'd second the caution about the frequency and content of the emails.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
echapin

Post by echapin »

I'm a Ward Clerk and I'm not seeing the ability to email groups of membership. (i.e. Elder's Quorum, Relief Society, etc.) Is this something that was removed from Ward Clerks' abilities? help!!
klricks

Post by klricks »

echapin wrote:I'm a Ward Clerk and I'm not seeing the ability to email groups of membership. (i.e. Elder's Quorum, Relief Society, etc.) Is this something that was removed from Ward Clerks' abilities? help!!
In LCR --> [Applications] --> [Send a Message]
Assistant Ward Clerk
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

klricks wrote:...
In LCR --> [Applications] --> [Send a Message]
Seconding that path. Also, the access table says Ward Clerks have access to that function. Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership also has access to that function.
davidpladgeman

Post by davidpladgeman »

Could this be used to send a ward newsletter and if so,how could members unsubscribe?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

davidpladgeman wrote:Could this be used to send a ward newsletter and if so,how could members unsubscribe?
Assuming there's a good answer to the question of how to unsubscribe, there's another issue that may warrant a bit of caution. Currently, there appears to be a defect in the 'Send a Message' tool in LCR, which manifests itself if a PDF file is sent as an attachment. This is a copy-paste (with indentation added) of the part header from a message I received from a member of my bishopric:
  • >>>> ------=_Part_1474758_465373419.1544593623998
    >>>> Content-Type: text/plain; name="Ward FHE flyer.pdf"
    >>>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    >>>> Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Ward FHE flyer.pdf"
The defect is that the "text/plain" should be "application/pdf". The erroneous "text/plain" content type specifier causes standards-compliant MUAs to try to display the message as plain text, which quickly goes into the weeds as the PDF attachment's binary data is displayed as if it were plain text.

I plan to report the defect in hope that the first-level service missionary will take the report seriously and send it up the chain rather than send back the usual canned response that I need to delete my cookies and clear my browser's cache.

Return to “Main Church Website”