MLS 2.9.1 Beta

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mkmurray

MLS 2.9.1 Beta

Post by mkmurray »

Just wanted to inform everyone that I just got an MLS message saying that our ward would be downloading MLS 2.9.1 Beta some time in the next week. The message said (in a very generic way) that this was a minor revision containing mostly bug fixes and not any major feature changes.

By the way, our stake is enrolled in the Beta program, so this doesn't affect all wards until 2.9.1 has been approved as official and the beta status is removed.

I have no further information beyond that, but I will have more next week apparently. :) I believe the message said something to the effect of it already being posted on the MLS Download site (isn't it http://mls.lds.org/ ?). So somebody else with a login could probably give you more information before I do.

Just FYI, for all you interested nerds like me. :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Just wanted to inform everyone that I just got an MLS message saying that our ward would be downloading MLS 2.9.1 Beta some time in the next week. The message said (in a very generic way) that this was a minor revision containing mostly bug fixes and not any major feature changes.

By the way, our stake is enrolled in the Beta program, so this doesn't affect all wards until 2.9.1 has been approved as official and the beta status is removed.

I have no further information beyond that, but I will have more next week apparently. :) I believe the message said something to the effect of it already being posted on the MLS Download site (isn't it http://mls.lds.org/ ?). So somebody else with a login could probably give you more information before I do.

Just FYI, for all you interested nerds like me. :)

We got a letter from our local high school seminary saying that a CES representative would be contacting our stake soon to get a list of seminary students that would be exported from Stake MLS. Written across the top (seemingly as an afterthought) was a note that this procedure would not be possible until MLS 2.9.1.

So it appears that the Seminary and Institutes feature, which was removed in version 2.9 from Stake MLS, will be restored in MLS 2.9.1.

The letter also said they hoped to have this process completed by October 3, so someone was a bit optimistic about when MLS 2.9.1 would be released, but it's interesting nonetheless.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

It looks like our unit downloaded MLS 2.9.1 Beta 1 as early as Thursday morning. Attached are the Release Notes and here is the version info as found on the front MLS homescreen:

MLS 2.9.1_14516 October 8, 2008 18:19

P.S. I had to put the .htm file in a .zip file since .htm and .html files are not in the valid file types for attachments. Tom, can we add those file types?
Attachments
MLS Release Notes.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
paisjea

MLS 2.9.1 Beta - Windows Vista

Post by paisjea »

Hello, does the new MLS version works on Windows Vista?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's no mention of that in the release notes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jeap76 wrote:Hello, does the new MLS version works on Windows Vista?
Also, because of a what we have heard from Church employees on this forum, it appears there might be some fairly major fundamental changes necessary to make MLS fully compatible with Vista. I imagine it would most likely come out under a "major" version change (for instance, MLS 2.0 => MLS 3.0) or at least a "minor" version change (which isn't really that minor; for instance, MLS 2.8 => 2.9). Because we're already at MLS 2.9, that's why I imagine such a version would be called MLS 3.0.

This appears to be just a "revision", hence the change from MLS 2.9 => MLS 2.9.1.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jeap76 wrote:Hello, does the new MLS version works on Windows Vista?
Are there Church machines being provided with Vista? I was under the impression that most were still using Win XP Pro because of compatibility.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:Are there Church machines being provided with Vista? I was under the impression that most were still using Win XP Pro because of compatibility.

Church machines are not currently provided with Vista. MLS-Vista compatibility is currently a relevant topic only as it regards running MLS on a personal computer with the test data. I suppose someone also might be curious about future plans for Church computers, but that would simply be speculation at this point.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:It looks like our unit downloaded MLS 2.9.1 Beta 1 as early as Thursday morning. Attached are the Release Notes...

Another change in MLS 2.9.1 (that is not mentioned in the Release Notes) is that the Seminary and Institute features have been restored to Stake MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:Are there Church machines being provided with Vista? I was under the impression that most were still using Win XP Pro because of compatibility.
Depends on how you want to define "provided with". The replacement machines I got a few months ago came with Vista CDs, (as well as XP CDs). But XP was what was loaded on the hard drive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”