Short Throw Projector Suggestions

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
wright_left

Short Throw Projector Suggestions

Post by wright_left »

We have several older Viewsonic and Epson projectors, and I'm unable to fill the screen in the chapel with any of them.

The only place we have to put the projector is behind the speaker by the controls for the podium; where the chorister would normally stand. This is not far enough away from the screen to fill it. The screen is high up but not too far away. I have to use a music stand to get the angle required to hit the screen, and then a bunch of keystone adjustments to square the picture up. That leaves about two feet on each side, left and right, of the screen with no picture.

Are there any projector suggestions for this situation?

I kind of wish they would install a projector that matched the screen but that is a no go.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Short Throw Projector Suggestions

Post by russellhltn »

I usually set up the projector beside and possibly a little in front of the podium. I've seen some units use a A/V cart to give it some height while still being floor standing. I usually don't fill the screen by choice - the bigger the picture, the dimmer the picture. I usually keep the image on the smaller side to make sure it can be seen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

In a former Stake, they had a wooden stand built that fit over the back of a pew and they would put the projecter over the 2nd or 3rd pew (if I recall correctly). They ran the cables over the privacy screen from the podium and taped them to the floor to reduce the trip hazard. The person controlling the projector could sit in the audience next to it. That got it back far enough (and at a low enough angle) that size and keystone were not issues.
wright_left

Post by wright_left »

It seems the ideas presented so far assume there is no one speaking at the podium, but I need to setup the projector assuming someone is speaking. Stake Conference for example. I can't project from out in the audience or beside the podium, as that would be way too distracting for the speaker and everyone else around it.

I definitely want to fill the whole screen, as that is the point of the projector in the first place, so people in the back can see. It actually is kind of on the small size. If it is too dim, a better projector is needed. It seems that 3000+ lumens works good, but the more the better.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wright_left wrote:It seems the ideas presented so far assume there is no one speaking at the podium, but I need to setup the projector assuming someone is speaking. Stake Conference for example. I can't project from out in the audience or beside the podium, as that would be way too distracting for the speaker and everyone else around it.
Beside the podium is how we've done all of ours. The screen itself can be an issue, but the projector is not. I've seen others do it from a cart. I don't find it distracting as long as it's low enough not to block anyone's view.

When you say "stake conference" which meeting are you referring to? Unless it's been a broadcast, we've never done an AV presentations on Sunday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have seen some cases were a projector was used by a speaker during the Saturday Afternoon leadership training, but that has always been a small enough audience that only the chapel was used so screen size was not an issue. A small table was placed next to the podium for the projector.
wright_left

Post by wright_left »

We used a screen in the chapel, behind the speaker, and a screen in the gym. This allowed people in the back to actually see the speaker. We did this for both the general and evening sessions of stake conference.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Our stake purchased a Hitachi CP-BW301WN almost 2 years ago. We have been happy with it. It can adjust for horizontal as well as vertical keystone. This allows the projector to be placed off center with respect to the screen, with the projected image squared off and centered on the screen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:Our stake purchased a Hitachi CP-BW301WN almost 2 years ago. We have been happy with it. It can adjust for horizontal as well as vertical keystone. This allows the projector to be placed off center with respect to the screen, with the projected image squared off and centered on the screen.
The Epson projectors the church has been buying lately will do the same. It give added flexibility in placement of the projector.

quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

We have installed an Epson 700U short throw projector in the HC room. It has a 4000 lumen output and is creating a 100+ inch image. The distance from the lens to the screen is less than 24 inches. (really). It takes care to locate the projector but the picture is amazing.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”