AutoLink Blogging Tool

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
Stephan-p40

AutoLink Blogging Tool

Post by Stephan-p40 »

Well its not only a blogging tool. Anyone can use it on any website really. Anyway this is the tool.

AutoLink basically detects words or phrases and changes them into a similar to links looking style. If you move your mouse over this link a bubble will appear with more information and more links relating the word or phrase. As far as I know it works in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Chrome. Haven't tested in others yet but will try to do soon.

I am going to create an account area where people can then change settings on the script such as font type, font color, underlines and more. The will also be able to block pages within there domain where the script will not run.

I am building up a database of content for these bubbles. The content will be split into different categories. Currently I have the following categories:

Temples
General Authoraties
Scriptures
Gospel Topics (the ones from LDS.org)

Does anyone have any other category ideas that I could include?

Here is a link to a sample so you can see what it is all about.
http://blogger.ldswebdeveloper.com/autolink/

What do you guys think about this script? Where there any problems?
opee

Post by opee »

Stephan wrote:What do you guys think about this script? Where there any problems?

Pretty cool. It took a few seconds to display--wasn't sure if I was supposed to hover over it or click the text.

The Swiss Temple did not redisplay after I hovered over the link a 2nd time. There was an error on the page. (using XP and IE6)

Line: 307
Char: 6
Error: Invalid argument.
Code: 0
URL: http://blogger.ldsdeveloper.com/autolink/
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Seems fickled to me. It sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. But then normal users don't keep moving around playing with it either.

The key thing is to use it appropriately. Some sites I've seen it on are annoying as it underlines every single thing found in the glossary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Stephan-p40

Post by Stephan-p40 »

Thanks for the info. I will see that I can figure out why sometimes it doesn't work properly.
The key thing is to use it appropriately. Some sites I've seen it on are annoying as it underlines every single thing found in the glossary.
People will be able to manage this themselves. They will be able to set which category of words they want to use. They can use only one or all. They can also set how often each word should be underlined. Only once or only 3 etc

They will also be able to block certain keywords or phrases. It is also possible to block parts of the website so that no keywords will be underlined.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

How can I use this tool for my website?
It's a server or client side tool?
I checked to Internet but found too many links to look at.
Why walk for 2000 miles if train goes there?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
Stephan-p40

Post by Stephan-p40 »

The tool is not quite ready. I am still working on the database. Once I launch it there will be a website where you can register and it will tell you exactly how it will work.

It is a combination of client side and server side scripts. But all you need to worry about is to add one line of javascript and my server side script does the rest.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Stephan wrote:The tool is not quite ready. I am still working on the database. Once I launch it there will be a website where you can register and it will tell you exactly how it will work.
So this tool is the same as WordPress Autolink?
Reading few about it (WP Autolink I mean), I've seen that there are some trouble with two or more word per link. Es.: mysite = work, my site = doesn't.
Stephan wrote: It is a combination of client side and server side scripts. But all you need to worry about is to add one line of javascript and my server side script does the rest.
Ok. I'll wait for your! No doubt.

P.S.(Post Scriptum): I'm the one who offer you collaboration for LDSToolbar italian translation (my offer is always valide for all programs).
Till now I find a way to provide an Italian LDSToolbar using conduit.com tools. Can I move it to your server?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
Stephan-p40

Post by Stephan-p40 »

marianomarini_vi wrote:So this tool is the same as WordPress Autolink?
Reading few about it (WP Autolink I mean), I've seen that there are some trouble with two or more word per link. Es.: mysite = work, my site = doesn't.
Not sure if it is the same as the wordpress plugin. I compiled this script myself from scratch. My script will handle differences like mysite and my site. For each box I can give unlimited keywords. So If I want to display a info box for President Monson I would have these keywords

President Monson
President Thomas S Monson
President Thomas Monson
Thomas S Monson
Elder Monson
Elder Thomas S Monson
Elder Thomas Monson

And they would all open the same box and provide the same information. If I found out that I missed something I can simply add it to the dataase.

Return to “Links & Resources”