D80 Camera Discontinued

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
njgpeck

D80 Camera Discontinued

Post by njgpeck »

I noticed today that the Sony EVI-D80 camera on store.lds.org is now marked as Discontinued and is no longer available for purchase. Does anyone have an idea on how long it will be before we have a new "recommended" camera?

I figured this would be coming as the D80 has been the last recommended camera for the 4+ years. Also, Sony has stopped making them.

Personally, I'm hoping the new "recommended" camera will be a HD Camera supporting IP, HDMI, and/or SDI. Thoughts?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: D80 Camera Discontinued

Post by Mikerowaved »

njgpeck wrote:Personally, I'm hoping the new "recommended" camera will be a HD Camera supporting IP, HDMI, and/or SDI. Thoughts?
I was a bit disappointed when 6-months ago the FM group installed a Sony EVI-D80 (SD) camera in our stake center. Even though it's been discontinued, there's still some inventory out there.

I think the standard will eventually be an HD PTZ camera, and it may already be for new stake centers, but I haven't seen it yet.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

My guess is that we'll see a HD camera when the rest of the distribution system is upgraded to HD.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

14 to 17 years, but who knows now that FM is being outsourced, all bets are off.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
njgpeck

Post by njgpeck »

Here is what I received from the MHT Group:

Here is the spec for new PTZ Camera. Order through Facilities Manager

Type Brand Model Price

Overhead Projector Epson - Short Throw Power-Lite 535W (ST) $824.00
Overhead Projector Epson - Throw Power-Lite 980W $626.00
PTZ Camera Lumens VC-A51S or A60S ~$2000.00
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

njgpeck wrote:Lumens VC-A51S or A60S ~$2000.00
VC-A51S ~$1800
VC-A60S ~$2600

Nice. However, rather overkill considering the BW cap imposed for webcasts.
randysteck

Post by randysteck »

Wow, these are extremely expensive solutions. I've not been active in the forum for a while, but the fact that we're still considering cameras costing over $2k is shocking. Plus, even if you've already got an SD camera it is seriously time for an upgrade.

We've been using two Dahua IP cameras, which cost $360 each. They stream at 1080P, have a 25X zoom, excellent low light capability for sometimes dark chapels, with good presets for tall speakers, shorter speakers, choir, chorister, and wider shots. The second camera is side mounted and used for transitions and an alternate speaker view. We stream through Sunday Streams and use vMix (OBS is great also) to mix the video, delay audio and stream all on a PC without using a Vidiu box.

It's extremely simple to set up requiring 20 minutes at the stake center and 5 minutes at the remote location. Remote locations use Roku boxes to receive the stream. We've done 5 conferences with full 1080P and have never had a transmission glitch. With a 3000 to 4000 lumen 1080P projector at the remote sites our attendance has gone up steadily as members see that it's a good experience.

I think we're simply spending too much money for some of these things. The Dahua camera is the SD52C225U-HNI 2MP 25x Starlight PTZ Network Camera.
ErikRich06

Post by ErikRich06 »

randysteck wrote:Wow, these are extremely expensive solutions. I've not been active in the forum for a while, but the fact that we're still considering cameras costing over $2k is shocking. Plus, even if you've already got an SD camera it is seriously time for an upgrade.

We've been using two Dahua IP cameras, which cost $360 each. They stream at 1080P, have a 25X zoom, excellent low light capability for sometimes dark chapels, with good presets for tall speakers, shorter speakers, choir, chorister, and wider shots. The second camera is side mounted and used for transitions and an alternate speaker view. We stream through Sunday Streams and use vMix (OBS is great also) to mix the video, delay audio and stream all on a PC without using a Vidiu box.

It's extremely simple to set up requiring 20 minutes at the stake center and 5 minutes at the remote location. Remote locations use Roku boxes to receive the stream. We've done 5 conferences with full 1080P and have never had a transmission glitch. With a 3000 to 4000 lumen 1080P projector at the remote sites our attendance has gone up steadily as members see that it's a good experience.

I think we're simply spending too much money for some of these things. The Dahua camera is the SD52C225U-HNI 2MP 25x Starlight PTZ Network Camera.
Not to hijack the thread, but how are you controlling the Dahua cameras? I’m putting together a proposal to add a second camera (currently a d70) and a joystick control for transitions.

Are you using a usb gamepad, joystick, or something like a usb Shuttle Pro?

Thanks in advance!
pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

We use two PTZoptics cameras controlled with a HuddleCam joystick. You do get what you pay for, and our solution is a lot easier to manage then what we had in the past. However we do regional training and more from our location so not just Stake Conference. I would rather have reliable equipment in a simple to manage solution than cheap cameras and audio equipment that I fight during live productions.
ErikRich06

Post by ErikRich06 »

pcardelli wrote:We use two PTZoptics cameras controlled with a HuddleCam joystick. You do get what you pay for, and our solution is a lot easier to manage then what we had in the past. However we do regional training and more from our location so not just Stake Conference. I would rather have reliable equipment in a simple to manage solution than cheap cameras and audio equipment that I fight during live productions.
pcardelli - Thank you for your reply. I like your setup, and would like something very similar for our stake center. Are you still using the Vidiu software for hosting?

Out of curiosity, what is your internet upload speed?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”