Church Statistics

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
falisrm-p40

Church Statistics

Post by falisrm-p40 »

Is it possible to get more information directly from the church in regards to how church statistics are created. The statistical world always asks for more clarity and information about how we report on our numbers. I've basically maxed out on how to explain things. Although they never ask other churches like the Lutherans for example, and complain about how they report their numbers, Mormons seems to get the brunt force on the topic.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

falisrm wrote:Is it possible to get more information directly from the church in regards to how church statistics are created.
For the most part, they are based on membership records. Your ward MLS tells your stake MLS how many members there are in your ward. The stake tells CHQ. CHQ adds them all up and Brother Watson, secretary to the First Presidency, announces the number each April general conference.

The Church keeps track of how many membership records are created by the missions for the convert baptism total. The wards add children of record, usually when they are blessed.

The CDOL can total up the number of wards, branches, stakes, etc.

The Missionary Department knows how many missionaries are serving.

I keep a list of temples on my computer at home, but I think SL uses their list. The numbers match, though.

Did I miss anything?

Or is this a more philosophical question about why we count certain statistics and not others? I cannot really answer philosophical questions this late at night. Maybe in the morning. [grin]

If you look at the statistical report that is presented each April, it is easy to see what is being counted. I would dare say the computers do most of the counting nowadays. Just my 2 cents worth.

Return to “General Discussions”