Conference Hashtags

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
TaraLeeBennett

Conference Hashtags

Post by TaraLeeBennett »

I know the recommended hashtags for conference are #ldsconf and the name of the leader if you’re quoting them (i.e. #presnelson or #elderholland).. but if you look up #ldsconf you get everything ever shared that has to do with conference.

I want to suggest a specific hashtag for each conference. I make (probably a few too many) memes to share on Pinterest and Instagram then they get shared and reposted on other forums. For the last conference I used #oct17ldsconf on each post. So now I can search that on any forum and find quotes from that conference rather than every conference in the history of the church. Especially since our RS/Priesthood lessons will now revolve around the most recent conference, I think there needs to be a specific hashtag. But also just for relevance and learning.. it seems to me we need to have differentiation and access to the messages meant for us right now! So for this conference it could be #apr18ldsconf. But FYI I tried using #188ldsconf and it doesn’t work to start out with a number. It has to start with a letter.

Also... Where is the suggestion box? President Nelson taught, “My dear sisters... we need your impressions, your insights, and your inspiration. ” LOL Okay, I have more. Where do I send them?!?! :D
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Conference Hashtags

Post by lajackson »

TaraLeeBennett wrote:I want to suggest a specific hashtag for each conference.
How about #ldsconf18apr or #ldsconf188 ? Although I recognize the significance of the 188, I think the date is a better tag in the long run. I would probably use #ldsconf1804 for this past weekend, and #ldsconf1810 later this year.
TaraLeeBennett wrote:Where is the suggestion box?
Send your suggestions through Feedback, either through LDS.org or by one of the Church apps.
TaraLeeBennett

Post by TaraLeeBennett »

I like your ideas for the hashtags. Now who do we tell to make it official?

I’ve submitted ideas on lds.org and they only want feedback on the website. So they respond to the effect of, “thank you for the feedback on the website,” when I just submitted an idea for Sunday school councils. So I don’t think that’s the answer. I’ll dig deeper on the apps. I have considered writing a letter, but it’s my understanding that the handbook says not to send letters.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

"Ecclesiastical" ideas for church policies, programs, procedures, etc. – like an idea for a Sunday school council – are probably best shared via the bishop or high councilor > stake president > area authority, etc.
Practical feedback on websites and apps is a different kind of feedback, since it doesn't need to be approved by an apostle or the First Presidency, necessarily, for it to be useful.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:"Ecclesiastical" ideas for church policies, programs, procedures, etc. – like an idea for a Sunday school council – are probably best shared via the bishop or high councilor > stake president > area authority, etc.
I'd think this is more of a "social media" idea. I'm not sure of the route, but I'd suggest trying to engage the folks that handle the church's social media accounts. While the forum would seem like a logical place, we don't really have any contact with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by richmanll »

The Church doesn't officially endorse hashtags. They list a few popular hashtags at https://www.lds.org/media-library/social?lang=eng , but the things about hashtags is that people can use whatever they want. They become the most useful when everyone begins using the same things.

I like your idea about conference specific tags, but only if you also use #LDSconf. There is an advantage in using the same tag conference after conference in terms of getting noticed on the social media platform and trending. But if you also use the conference-specific tag, then people can search for content for that specific conference. My suggestion for the conference-specific would be to use #LDSconfApr2018 and #LDSconfOct2018 so that the month and year become obvious to people.

If you want, I could suggest that in my next post on LDSMediaTalk.com before next conference.
TaraLeeBennett

Post by TaraLeeBennett »

I agree about also using the #LDSConf tag each time for continuity and a date specific tag for specificity. I always use both (and any others that apply).

Yes, I would love if you would make this suggestion! I would really appreciate it! Thank you very much!
TaraLeeBennett

Post by TaraLeeBennett »

I agree and I’m in! Thanks for the support! Let’s fill the Internet, as if with s flood!!!
richmanll
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by richmanll »

The hashtag for conference has now changed to #GeneralConference
TaraLeeBennett

Post by TaraLeeBennett »

Thanks for letting me know.

Return to “Digital Media”