"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
chriswoodut

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by chriswoodut »

HTML emails are hard to do well as every client interprets and displays them differently. However, I know a company that develops an html formatting tool that companies can buy/pay for and drop it into their own website as an html formatting tool. I'm sure if the church implemented anything, it would be basic functionality as complex functionality like templates is hard.
drcook345

Post by drcook345 »

I tried the "Send a Message" function for the first time last week (member of stake presidency) sending a message to our high council group; many of them didn't receive the message. We were using goolgegroups (GG) before to communicate with our high council. I tried the LCR message function as many of our HC's weren't receiving emails from the GG. This is random, not always the same recipients each time. Upon doing some web research, some are complaining google is limiting the delivery of email to more than ~ 10 recipients when the message is not sent from the actual author. Wondering if you have heard others having this issue? Any advise?
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

chriswoodut wrote:HTML emails are hard to do well as every client interprets and displays them differently. However, I know a company that develops an html formatting tool that companies can buy/pay for and drop it into their own website as an html formatting tool. I'm sure if the church implemented anything, it would be basic functionality as complex functionality like templates is hard.
I noticed there are now some basic formatting functions. We may switch our sacrament meeting program to email.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

drcook345 wrote:I tried the "Send a Message" function for the first time last week (member of stake presidency) sending a message to our high council group; many of them didn't receive the message. We were using goolgegroups (GG) before to communicate with our high council. I tried the LCR message function as many of our HC's weren't receiving emails from the GG. This is random, not always the same recipients each time. Upon doing some web research, some are complaining google is limiting the delivery of email to more than ~ 10 recipients when the message is not sent from the actual author. Wondering if you have heard others having this issue? Any advise?
I haven't had any issues. If you browse the thread, there does seem to be a file size limitation that people sometimes run into. Are all the people complaining gmail users or is it random?
drcook345

Post by drcook345 »

By file size you mean of attachments or the message body? In either case these were small < 170KB. It's random email addresses. Seems we've had gmail users complain they didn't get the messages same as others.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

drcook345 wrote:By file size you mean of attachments or the message body? In either case these were small < 170KB. It's random email addresses. Seems we've had gmail users complain they didn't get the messages same as others.
Yes, by file size I mean attachments. Email takes a lot of detailed information to diagnose delivery issues..... It can be very dependent on the receiver, their email provider, etc. If you were having issues with google groups, it makes me think there's issues in general. If it is reproducible.... like you can send to a test email that you know doesn't get it, that would be a starting point. I wonder if it is possible for it to be sender specific problem too.
cvhansen

Post by cvhansen »

I tried to sent out a mail over this system.
I have sent out INFORMATION on when there is General Conf. Satellite transmissions available to view fin our meetinghouse.
Manny didn't arrive.

Can anybody explain why the Church set forth a system there does not work?

Why do the Church not, as a ORG, provide a mail system for all members, >12 years of age, with their member no as mailbox - addition to that there could be created mailboxes connected to functions like stake presidents branch presidents etc. with forwarding to the personal mail account

This also could help solve some of the issues with members not allowing others to see the personal mail addresses, since these are now property of the Church not personal anymore.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

cvhansen wrote:I tried to sent out a mail over this system.
I have sent out INFORMATION on when there is General Conf. Satellite transmissions available to view fin our meetinghouse.
Manny didn't arrive.

Can anybody explain why the Church set forth a system there does not work?

Why do the Church not, as a ORG, provide a mail system for all members, >12 years of age, with their member no as mailbox - addition to that there could be created mailboxes connected to functions like stake presidents branch presidents etc. with forwarding to the personal mail account

This also could help solve some of the issues with members not allowing others to see the personal mail addresses, since these are now property of the Church not personal anymore.
If it doesn't work, it may not be the church's system that isn't working. If some are delivered and other's aren't delivered, the church's system is likely doing its part and sending it -- the receiving end may just be blocking it.

Email is complex because of spam. All providers such as gmail, hotmail, etc, filter email. They have to train their systems to try to detect spam. All of them do it differently which is probably why some emails are delivered and others aren't delivered. Also, the words/vocabulary IN the email can cause an email to be flagged as spam. Many of these providers' systems use a scoring system to determine if an email is spam. When an email server sends out one email to a large amount of recipients, that increases the score.

Now, imagine some bad person wants to send a lot of spam and they want to put lds.org as the FROM address on their emails. Yes, they can forge it. This can increase a score. There are ways an organization like the church can try to prove their emails are legitimate such as SPF records so that receiving servers can verify that the server sending the email really is lds.org and not a bad person. This would lower the score.

Sadly, because every system is different it is hard to make generalizations. My gmail system may work just fine because I have trained it to allow the emails. Others may be doing the opposite and flagging all church emails as spam -- thus training the gmail system to flag them as spam.

It would be a large effort to maintain an email system for all church members and it would be even harder to get them to use it. People use what they are used to. I help support a school and it took a solid good push to get the teachers to stop using personal email addresses and to use the school email addresses. It would be too hard to work against the moment of millions of members and which email system they want to use.

For those not getting the emails, they should do a few things:
1. Check their spam folder. If it's in there, tell the email system that it isn't spam. Gmail has an option to highlight and click NOT SPAM.

2. Add a filter that is specific to the church's sending address (lds.org or whatever it is) to make sure it goes INTO the inbox. This is like a whitelist.

3. Some email providers will whitelist any email address in their addressbook (this isn't true for all systems). If the church is using a consistent, standard email address you could try that.

4. A person could look up any specifics for their email provider to see how to whitelist an email sender.
jgoold

Post by jgoold »

Both my wife and I have problems receiving email from any "@ldschurch.org" email address, in particular messages coming from the "Send a Message" tool. We both have gmail addresses and gmail constantly blocks the messages as spam / fishing. I, personally, have never marked a message from @ldschurch.org as spam, so I don't believe this is a "spam training" problem. Furthermore, the "Why is this message in Spam" message at the top of the email says:

"It has a from address that has failed ldschurch.org's required tests for authentication."

I have marked these emails as "Not Spam" many times, but they still always go to the spam folder. Based on the message Google is giving me sounds like something the church could do something about. These instructions from google seem particularly apropos:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jgoold wrote:Both my wife and I have problems receiving email from any "@ldschurch.org" email address, in particular messages coming from the "Send a Message" tool. ...
Submitting the information in your post via the Feedback button/link would seem to be a good idea.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”