Unable to sign in after password reset

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unable to sign in after password reset

Post by russellhltn »

karrenhallwillard wrote:We need a number to have a human being help to reset the passwords.
From what I understand, he needs to update Gospel library and wait an hour. GL keeps trying to get in with the old password and locking him out. A human support person can't fix that. It's something your husband has to do (since it's his phone).

I don't know how much control the developers have over the lockout policy, but if it could be changed so that the old password won't trigger a lockout, that would be a big help.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JimAnderson

Post by JimAnderson »

I recently changed my password because I could not access LDS Tools on my Kindle. Now, when I attempt to enter on it goes to authenticating to preparing to sync and takes me back to password. I can access the LDS system on my computer and the only issue I have is with LDS Tools. Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JimAnderson wrote:I recently changed my password because I could not access LDS Tools on my Kindle.
LDS Tools no longer works with Kindle. We haven't yet heard the reason why or if the situation is temporary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I am not on a Kindle, but sent feedback through my android device and asked if my Android version was no longer supported. I received this today, which included Kindle information:

"Hello,
That is correct; version 5 is the lowest version we now support. Also note that we no longer support the Kindle platform.
LDS Tools Support Team"

So we still don't know the reason for Kindle, but it sounds to me like it is not a temporary situation.
krugerb

Post by krugerb »

If the account is locked, why not have the denial dialog reflect that instead of just telling me it doesn't recognize my sign-in credentials. It's very frustrating to have the system just continue to pretend I am entering my credentials wrong. It actually makes it look like the authentication routine is not functioning properly. Without useful feedback the system just looks broken.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

krugerb wrote:If the account is locked, why not have the denial dialog reflect that instead of just telling me it doesn't recognize my sign-in credentials. It's very frustrating to have the system just continue to pretend I am entering my credentials wrong. It actually makes it look like the authentication routine is not functioning properly. Without useful feedback the system just looks broken.
The forum is user to user support. We can discuss your issue but can do nothing about it. Your best chance of getting your suggestion to those who can make a change is by using the feedback link on the LDS.org home page, or most any other LDS.org page. The LDS Account pages do not have a feedback link but feedback submitted using the feedback link on any LDS.org page that has a feedback link will make it's way to the responsible individual or department. Do not expect a reply as they receive a large volume of feedback daily and do not have the resources to reply to each message.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

krugerb wrote:If the account is locked, why not have the denial dialog reflect that instead of just telling me it doesn't recognize my sign-in credentials.
Actually, that's a fairly common security measure. If it says that the account is locked then it is confirming that such an account exists which gives reason to continue attaching it. It also helps an attacker to know whether a password is wrong vs if the timeout is in effect.

It isn't user friendly but it is more secure. Unfortunately security often requires making things harder for users.
rich1991

Post by rich1991 »

I am truly confused. I have used my user name and password for two years. I tried signing in with these the past two days and they were not accepted. So, I tried changing my password. Then, the sign-in said NO user name when lds.org said I had a user name, which I had used. I am completely locked out of my lds account following all of your procedures to the letter. PLEASE, WHAT DO I DO NOW?????????
elizabethhfrost

Post by elizabethhfrost »

This inability to sign happens about every 3 months. I'm not on a Mission or a family history consultant both of which I have been. The sign in part simply refuses to accept my password. I'm really getting tired of it. I type in the password extremely carefully but the "sinc now" just refuses password acceptance. Why? How do I prevent this from continuing?
carmenclark

Post by carmenclark »

i tried the advice of going to library app and signing out and then in again as suggested solution to this problem with no luck. i have been unable to access this sight for 4 months. and thus cannot work on family history. this is very frustrating. :cry:

Return to “Church Account”