MLS and Google Maps

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
kitweeden-p40

MLS and Google Maps

Post by kitweeden-p40 »

I have seen a Stake export their members MLS info (addresses and names ONLY) and then upload this into a website as a backend database for feeding into a google map so you can see the WHOLE Stakes membership distribution.

Will Stake and Ward websites have this ability? This would be good on many levels from 'geographically' viewing memberships distribution (I live in Australia and so ward/stake boundaries are large with membership widespread) to having markers that identify Priesthood in home and or activity.

I have toyed with a few application tools online to embed something into my own website but I am not 'techy' enough for that.

Kit Weeden
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

kitweeden wrote:I have seen a Stake export their members MLS info (addresses and names ONLY) and then upload this into a website as a backend database for feeding into a google map so you can see the WHOLE Stakes membership distribution.

I don't think stakes really should not be doing this -- uploading rosters to such a third party web site. The guidance I have been working under (for our ward) is that addresses only might be acceptable, but not names and addresses.

See, for examplethis post from the forum adminstrator.

When we map our ward, we do it with Google Earth, which does not involve posting data to a web site.
kitweeden wrote:Will Stake and Ward websites have this ability?

The Church is known to be working on central functionality to map members by unit, and the release of this web application is widely anticipated. I don't know about global availability if it is under the secure umbrella of the Local Unit Web Sites (LUWS), which I think are available in North America.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”