Suggestion for moving members out of ward

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
knorseth

Suggestion for moving members out of ward

Post by knorseth »

This is a suggestion to add to the move members out of thee ward option in the LCR.

I just moved a 20 year old daughter out of our ward. She is now married, but I do not have her marriage information other than her married name, which I cannot add to her record. She will probably get put in a singles ward when she should not be. I had her new address which I entered in. I did not have the new ward to enter in. The LCR did not provide me with a ward list to select from for her destination.

A simple but very helpful suggestion would be to add a notes section to the move members out that can give more information that will help when contacting them in the new ward. I waited a few of weeks for the marriage information before finally making the move without it. Where it has been a few weeks since I was given the request to move her out to the new address, she is probably not active because she has not been moved into her new ward by the bishop or clerk (I hope the new ward is on the ball on moving new members they meet into their ward).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Suggestion for moving members out of ward

Post by russellhltn »

knorseth wrote:She will probably get put in a singles ward when she should not be.
Not by default. Her new ward might do that, but I don't think the system ever defaults to "singles".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
knorseth

Post by knorseth »

I have had this happen a couple of times now where they do assign the right off the bat to a singles ward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

knorseth wrote:She will probably get put in a singles ward when she should not be.
When you move a record you designate the unit. I have moved records in the exact same situation from our YSA unit. I contacted the unit clerk for the receiving unit and gave him the information I had. What they do with the information and the record after it is moved is their responsibility.
knorseth wrote:I had her new address which I entered in. I did not have the new ward to enter in. The LCR did not provide me with a ward list to select from for her destination.
That is a known issue (bug). I've reported the issue and received their response that they are working on the bug. The work around is to use Maps and Meetinghouse Locator to find the unit, if possible, and type it in. If Maps does not provide a unit then I've resorted to calling the GSC to get the unit.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
knorseth

Post by knorseth »

That is why they are reviewed before moved. My topic was a suggestion to the church for a notes field. This can be useful for more than just providing a married name.
besplin

Post by besplin »

Yes, PLEASE add a field when moving records. We have moved membership records out a few times, just to have them moved back in a few days later. We have also requested records from another ward, just to have them pulled back to a ward. A notes field that membership clerks and leadership can see as to WHY the record was moved would be very helpful. Also perhaps who (username) moved the record, as sometimes the bishop will move the record and the email or text about it to the clerk has not caught up yet. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

besplin wrote:Yes, PLEASE add a field when moving records.
By in large, this is a community forum. It's not something the developers get to decide. I'd suggest you use the Feedback link in LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Just a suggestion: All clerks have access to CDOL (cdol.lds.org) and can look up the contact info for any ward in the church. I've found that a kindly worded email to another ward clerk has cleared up many a situation. Just remember we're all volunteers here. :)
JamesCocker

Post by JamesCocker »

Great suggestion having a notes field attached to MLS membership records. For lost records in particular we are tracking record movement via separate external notes and re-marking new printouts of ward lists. Often information doesn't always get passed through and leads to unhappy situations for visitors and those re-visited. I've just arrived in forum. Please share, have there been any advancements related to the posted suggestion?

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”