SUGGESTIONS - Match/Merge, Non-traditional Marriages, RIN scroll

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
greenwoodkl

SUGGESTIONS - Match/Merge, Non-traditional Marriages, RIN scroll

Post by greenwoodkl »

A few suggestions:

MATCH/MERGE: Somehow there should be a better way to implement match/merge in PAF or new FamilySearch online where computer algorithms could start with one pair of records a user selects and search all links for X number of generations to help alleviate the one-by-one finding of tons of duplicates from imported GEDCOM files, etc...

NON-TRADITIONAL MARRIAGES: As much as the Church does not doctrinally condone same-sex marriages, far extended members of my family (aunt's husband's siblings) participate in such "unions." Is there a way to allow such partnerships to be entered and a politically neutral term to delineate it from a traditional marriage so those individuals can be recorded in files?

RIN SCROLL: I don't know a better name for this... I vaguely remember an earlier version of PAF allowing me to scroll with my arrow keys through RINs in chronological order. When I've been entering dozens of temple dates, etc... it has been annoying to click the RIN search button, enter a new RIN, and hit OK. Especially if the RIN is only a few numbers off. I'd like some easy way to scroll through records without leaving the family view to go to the individual screen, sort by RIN, and scroll or go through the process shown above.
stclairm

Post by stclairm »

kgthunder wrote:A few suggestions:

RIN SCROLL: I don't know a better name for this... I vaguely remember an earlier version of PAF allowing me to scroll with my arrow keys through RINs in chronological order. When I've been entering dozens of temple dates, etc... it has been annoying to click the RIN search button, enter a new RIN, and hit OK. Especially if the RIN is only a few numbers off. I'd like some easy way to scroll through records without leaving the family view to go to the individual screen, sort by RIN, and scroll or go through the process shown above.

You can still do "RIN Scroll" as you could in PAF 2, 3 and 4. Use Search/Individual List on the menu and hit the "RIN" radio button. It works pretty much the same, only because of the graphic user interface you can now see the RINs and names of a bunch of people at once as you are scrolling up and down. A lot of detail is shown for the person currently highlighted and you can readily edit them at that point.

Return to “Family History”