Correcting member's gender

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
njhprovo

Correcting member's gender

Post by njhprovo »

A family just moved into our ward. Their one year old has the wrong gender on their record. LDS.org explicitly says I cannot correct gender on that site.

How do I get the member's record corrected? Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Correcting member's gender

Post by russellhltn »

njhprovo wrote:Their one year old has the wrong gender on their record.
I'd use the Special Request feature in MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
njhprovo wrote:Their one year old has the wrong gender on their record.
I'd use the Special Request feature in MLS.
Actually, I think you can correct it in MLS (at least you can in the test installation). You just can't update that kind of information in LCR yet.

Just find the individual's record (using Membership > Individual Record from the MLS menu) and then click on the Edit link in the upper right corner, make the fix and save.
lovell

Post by lovell »

Found this while searching... MLS doesn't allow you to make the change. I'll try the special request as the mission office created this convert record with a host of errors.
kirkmdaniel

Post by kirkmdaniel »

Who do I contact to request a gender change in a child’s membership record?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

kirkmdaniel wrote:Who do I contact to request a gender change in a child’s membership record?
This suggestion is a few posts earlier in this thread:
russellhltn wrote:I'd use the Special Request feature in MLS.
Otherwise, a call to the GSC should be able to solve it, though it will likely take a few days for them to make the change.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kirkmdaniel wrote:Who do I contact to request a gender change in a child’s membership record?
I don't want to test it by making an inappropriate change to a record in my own ward but when I go to edit a child's record it shows the option to change the gender. Have you tried to edit it in LCR (find the member's profile, select the Individual tab and then click the pencil icon to the right of the information and then change the gender using the drop down box and then save)?

However, if I edit my own record it doesn't provide the option to change my gender but there is a little question mark icon next to the gender which, when clicked, says I can't change the gender because I've been ordained to a priesthood office. So even though I haven't tested this, I think the gender can be edited as long as the change doesn't conflict with other information like ordinations or possibly a marriage.
klricks

Post by klricks »

Try it yourself in LCR. I have recently corrected gender for a new convert (Single) which was entered wrong by the Mission. Can't do it if the person is married.
Assistant Ward Clerk
dbollard99

Post by dbollard99 »

I tried it for an 8 year old girl that was marked as a male (didn't notice until SHE was placed into Cub Scouts by LCR). I can't change it, even though LCR Release 3.3 (Date Released: September 08, 2016) notes that:

"New or Enhanced Functionality:
Membership Related:
Added the ability to record or update:
Incorrectly recorded gender."

Why can't I change/update the gender?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was able to correct the gender of a two-year-old girl. It was a couple years ago, so I don't remember if I encountered any problems.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”