MLS and Stake Changes

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jtwitchell

MLS and Stake Changes

Post by jtwitchell »

Today our Stake had their Ward boundaries changed. We went from 6 wards to 5. All of our wards were renamed as well. We will still be using the same unit numbers (minus one). Is there anything special that I will need to do with MLS? Will the records automatically move to the new wards? Will the names automatically update? HELP!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
jeffclark1070-p40

Ward Boundries

Post by jeffclark1070-p40 »

I believe that MLS has a boundry realignment section that should be used. I used it once a couple of years ago but that was just to combine 2 wards into one. I am not sure about changing all of the ward boundries. I think you can select certain people to move to other wards. It has been so long I can't remember. Maybe there is a moderator that will have the correct answers.
opee

Post by opee »

jeffclark1070 wrote:I believe that MLS has a boundry realignment section that should be used. I used it once a couple of years ago but that was just to combine 2 wards into one. I am not sure about changing all of the ward boundries. I think you can select certain people to move to other wards. It has been so long I can't remember. Maybe there is a moderator that will have the correct answers.

There is a Boundary Tutorial for using Geo Codes on the Training Website that might be helpful.
http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,6074-1,00.html
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

net_runner wrote:Today our Stake had their Ward boundaries changed. We went from 6 wards to 5. All of our wards were renamed as well. We will still be using the same unit numbers (minus one). Is there anything special that I will need to do with MLS? Will the records automatically move to the new wards? Will the names automatically update? HELP!
Each ward will need to send out any membership records that need to go to a new ward. They can use the Membership Record (More) / Moves / Boundary Realignment menu to send out all of the records at once to each new ward. Since the same unit numbers are in use, the records should transfer just fine.

The stake will need to change the names of the units in the System Options link under the Unit tab. Under the Wards/Branches section, they should select the Edit link, rename the appropriate wards and assign new Abbreviated Names, as needed.

The stake will have to wait for the discontinued unit to go away. They could rename it something like Discontinued for now. It should disappear after CHQ gets the updated directory information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

net_runner wrote:Today our Stake had their Ward boundaries changed. We went from 6 wards to 5. All of our wards were renamed as well. We will still be using the same unit numbers (minus one). Is there anything special that I will need to do with MLS? Will the records automatically move to the new wards? Will the names automatically update? HELP!

The records do not automatically move, but there are MLS features that make it easy to move them. For each ward that is moving members out, the clerk goes into the Membership screen of MLS. There under Moves you will see Boundary Realignment.

This allows you to bulk select families that are moving out of the ward into a particular new ward. You specify the ward and stake unit numbers and names, check off all the families moving to that ward, and then save the changes. Then repeat for each other ward that members of your ward are moving to. Each ward that is moving members out will need to repeat this process. The stake should be able to provide to each ward lists of all the families affected and what their new wards are through the Boundary Realignment process that the stake has obviously already followed.

It may be a bit tricky to pick the right name for the destination wards, since they are all changing at the same time. I'm guessing the unit number is the most important thing, but I would use the old names, since my experience is that name changes take a bit longer to process than membership record moves.

For the discontinued ward, follow the Checklist for discontinuing a ward to make sure you handle various details.

For renamed units, you also need to change the name in MLS (under System Options, Unit). Also, I would check with CHQ to make sure the name changes are done officially. I forget the actual department name, but if you call the main number, they can direct you to the right place. Our stake recently renamed a ward, and the name didn't get communicated properly and so nothing happened until we pushed the right buttons at CHQ. The department that handles name changes will make the changes that will affect the CDOL, LUWS, and various other systems. It takes a few days for those systems to be updated.

This sounds like a lot of work for all the clerks. Good luck, and please don't hesitate to post followup questions.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:For renamed units, you also need to change the name in MLS (under System Options, Unit).
I forgot. Yes, each unit will need to change their own name, as needed, in addition to the stake updating the names of the units on their computer.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There are MLS instructions for Discontinued Units. Sign into the MLS site at http://www.lds.org/mls/login. Select Local Unit Computer Instructions and then Discontinued Unit Instructions. This will cover all the issues you will be concerned with. The list is the same as Alan_Brown gave.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:There are MLS instructions for Discontinued Units. Sign into the MLS site at http://www.lds.org/mls/login. Select Local Unit Computer Instructions and then Discontinued Unit Instructions. This will cover all the issues you will be concerned with. The list is the same as Alan_Brown gave.

The link I gave is to clerk.lds.org under Troubleshooting, and does not require a login.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:The link I gave is to clerk.lds.org under Troubleshooting, and does not require a login.
I'm glad you gave the link to the information because while I knew it was somewhere on clerk.lds.org I could not find it. The search feature was totally useless in finding it. I knew it was on mls.lds.org and was able to find it there with no problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jtwitchell

Thanks

Post by jtwitchell »

You guys are great. Thanks for the response. I will keep you up to date on how things go.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”