CES Broadcast Recording

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
techgy
Community Moderators

CES Broadcast Recording

Post by techgy »

I apologize if this isn't in the right forum, but I really didn't see a place for it.
On October 7th Elder Holland was the guest speaker at a CES Fireside. Our stake always records these broadcasts and makes them available in our stake library.

On this particular occasion we were experiencing a problem with the satellite and I spent the majority of my time on the phone with support getting the signal restored. The problem is that I didn't get the broadcast recorded.

Does anyone have a recording of this broadcast on a DVD? I realize that it can be viewed on-line but I don't have a means of recording it. I'd be happy to send a blank DVD if necessary. Please contact me via private message so we can get together. Any help would be appreciated.

One member in our stake had his daughter singing in the choir and came up after the broadcast and asked me about making a copy of it. I hated to tell him that we didn't record it.

Thanks

:)
jtwitchell

CES Broadcast

Post by jtwitchell »

Most of the CES Broadcasts are available online (see http://lds.org/broadcast/ces/0,7341,538 ... 21,00.html). What you can do is download the MP4 of the broadcast and you can then get it made into a DVD using some free software out there. It takes a while to get it done, but it makes really good DVDs.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Thanks. Can you recommend some free software to convert it to a DVD?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Techgy wrote:Thanks. Can you recommend some free software to convert it to a DVD?
I have not (yet) used it myself, but I hear dvdauthor is pretty good for taking some MPEG files and producing a suitable DVD filesystem. At least on a Linux system, growisofs works well for burning a DVD. (It's what I use to make system backups.)
jtwitchell

Free Software

Post by jtwitchell »

The two software items that I use are MediaCoder and AVI2DVD. I use MediaCoder to convert the MP4 to an AVI file (using Xvid for video and MP3 for audio). After I get the AVI file, I use AVI2DVD to author the DVD. It doesn't have the fancy menu structure, but you can set the times to create chapters and it works really well. I will get some specifics up later today if you are interested.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

It looks like Sourceforge.net has something called DVDFLICK that might do it.
I'll do some additional checking this afternoon after I have the time to download the 290 Mb mp4.
I'd prefer to do this in one step instead of two.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still interested though if anyone already has it copied and can make one for me. Most of the time I do these in real time but it's nice to be able to have a backup process.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I've downloaded the broadcast from the lds.org broadcast archive.
The problem is that the entire broadcast isn't there - the only thing that's available is the approximate 46 minutes of Elder Holland's talk. I needed the entire broadcast, including the choir numbers since that's was this member in our stake was interested in having.

Return to “General Discussions”