Notes in the Directory

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
BrianTAllen

Notes in the Directory

Post by BrianTAllen »

Over the years I've sat in many Ward Council and PEC meetings where we discuss who a particular member is that's on our ward list, and someone in the room will know them or know about them. Then a year or two later you have the same discussion, without that person being there, and you know you should know about them, but can't remember the details (or worse, remember it wrong).

It would be nice if there was a Notes section for each person in the directory in LDS Tools, where I could personally add notes for a given person.

For instance, I went to visit a less-active member last night and would love to be able to record the details of the visit for later use: he likes hunting and sand rails, where he works, where his wife works, where they're from, etc.

These notes would only be for me, and someone else's notes on the same person would only be for them.

Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Notes in the Directory

Post by russellhltn »

BrianTAllen wrote:Thoughts?
The church is very sensitive about collecting information on members, complying with various local privacy laws, and the public perception of such activity. As such, I think it's highly unlikely that church-produced software would allow that.

Obviously, there's nothing stopping members from using other means of keeping personal notes. At that point, it's a personal activity, not a "church" one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hirsp1

Post by hirsp1 »

Privacy laws notwithstanding, the ability to track notes is very important and could be tied to callings rather than individuals. Otherwise, people create their own lists that won't necessarily remove the risk from the Church.

In all my leadership experience we've had lists outside the system that result in siloed information that gets lost, isn't accessible, etc.

This feature needs to be reconsidered.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hirsp1 wrote:Otherwise, people create their own lists that won't necessarily remove the risk from the Church.
Actually, there is a difference. If members create their own notes, then there's no guarantee they exist or that they exist in any form understandable to another person. The moment you create a formal place for people to store things, that information is now exists and is an official church record.

While it would be more efficient to allow sharing, there is a significant legal difference/liability.

As such, I don't expect to see any such feature this side of the second coming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hirsp1

Post by hirsp1 »

A shared Google Sheet or Doc is more secure, safe and controllable than the Church's system? You can't access the Church's system without an account. You can't access certain data without the right calling.

Google Sheets with all sorts of private information can be shared by anyone to anyone, including making a link publicly available. It's not going to be very long before someone inadvertently shares a link beyond where it should and it makes international news...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The issue is legal liability to the church itself. The church would have limited liability if a leader does something outside of the official guidance and/or tools provided. There is greater liability/accountability for what the church does provide.

Since this is a legal issue, it's beyond the scope of the forum. Also, there are no decision-makers here. You'd have to convince the Brethren. And if I'm correct, you'd have to convince the legal department as well.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:The church would have limited liability if a leader does something outside of the official guidance and/or tools provided.
All of the attorneys I know would disagree, and would be more than happy to represent me and the Church in the legal fray that would follow.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:All of the attorneys I know would disagree, and would be more than happy to represent me and the Church in the legal fray that would follow.
And I think there's any number of attorneys that would be happy to sue the church as long as there was any chance the church (and not just the local leader) would be found liable. Those are the ones of concern.

Return to “Member Tools”