Old checks found; use or discard?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joshuajohnwallace

Old checks found; use or discard?

Post by joshuajohnwallace »

I finally was able to open a cabinet in our clerk's office that apparently has been stuck closed for years. One of the things I found in it was a bunch of checks with check numbers suggesting that if they had been used in the correct sequence, they should have been used about 8 or 10 years ago. I'm guessing the checks got stuck in the cabinet and the clerks at the time just moved on to a later sequence of checks.

Should I use these checks, which are grossly out of sequence, or should I destroy them? Or something else?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Old checks found; use or discard?

Post by lajackson »

joshuajohnwallace wrote:Should I use these checks, which are grossly out of sequence, or should I destroy them? Or something else?
You might call Local Unit Support on Monday, but I would just shred them.
joshuajohnwallace

Post by joshuajohnwallace »

A follow-up from the OP:

I called Local Unit Support and then said that as long as the checks have two signature lines (they do), then they're still valid checks that can be used as long as I make sure the check number I enter into MLS matches the check number on the check being used.

I don't know if this is general advice or if it worked for us in this case because no one (I'm guessing) had reported to HQ that those checks were missing or inaccessible. It may be possible, but I don't know, that if someone had reported to Church HQ that those checks were missing, that they would have been preemptively voided.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That sounds right. After all, if the routing number and account number are correct, the check number doesn't matter as long as it matches what you enter into MLS.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”