Why ask for registration info?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
crislapi

Why ask for registration info?

Post by crislapi »

I am curious why, when creating an account for the LUWS, the user is asked to enter their address and phone number. Besides preferred name and email address, all other info displayed about the member is linked to their membership record in MLS anyway.

My reason for asking is that we are in the middle of a big push of trying to get at least leadership on the website, and all the fields are intimidating some of our more, um, senior leadership. I realize it's optional anyway, but if it's never used, what's the point?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:I am curious why, when creating an account for the LUWS, the user is asked to enter their address and phone number. Besides preferred name and email address, all other info displayed about the member is linked to their membership record in MLS anyway.

My reason for asking is that we are in the middle of a big push of trying to get at least leadership on the website, and all the fields are intimidating some of our more, um, senior leadership. I realize it's optional anyway, but if it's never used, what's the point?

The registration is not simply a registration for LUWS, but also for other web sites that people might possibly use. For those other systems, there is no connection to MLS. I suppose the information might be used for contacting people. But it makes so much more sense to use e-mail to contact people that this is a long shot. In any case, I see no reason to get hung up on optional information that people don't have to enter.
dobrichelovek

Post by dobrichelovek »

Wouldn't the idea of using the LUWS account for other things have been abandoned in favor of the newer betterer LDS Account system? :rolleyes:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dobrichelovek wrote:Wouldn't the idea of using the LUWS account for other things have been abandoned in favor of the newer betterer LDS Account system? :rolleyes:
I assume you're right about this, but when the registration system was implemented, it was designed to cover more than just LUWS. And the current LUWS is stuck with the current user ID system.

However, we've heard that the new LUWS will use the new LDS Account system when it is released, so the whole registration system will change. I assume that with LDS Account, it will be clear that the user is registering a new user ID that will have more uses, so hopefully these complaints will go away.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Yes. Today LDS Account is replacing the old LDS Registration Form. CES officials, stake leaders that try the new CDOL 2.0, leaders that use the TES - Temple Entry System and the new Missionary Recomendation System (at US and Canada) and people with an entry to the Church Art Competition are all on LDS Access. When all other Church systems migrate to LDS Access, LDS Registration Form will be dead (it include LUWS 2.0 and other aplications).

I don't believe, however, that New FamilySearch system will be, in future, used with the LDS Account for Church members to login at the site.

Sorry for my bad English!
opee

Post by opee »

MorettiDP wrote:...stake leaders that try the new CDOL 2.0..!

Is there a new version of CDOL coming out?
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Yes, CDOL 2.0 is opened to beta testing at some stakes (in US only, I believe). The address is: https://apps.lds.org/cdol/security/login.jsf

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”