on IOS - Sealed to prior spouse, but sealing cancelled

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lmck2

on IOS - Sealed to prior spouse, but sealing cancelled

Post by lmck2 »

I have a member who checked his IOS (individual ordinance summary). It has a line on it that says "Sealed to prior spouse: Yes" . He is telling me that that that sealing has been cancelled. First is the IOS record wrong, Should it say no. And if it is wrong how do I change it - Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: on IOS - Sealed to prior spouse, but sealing cancelled

Post by russellhltn »

I'd start by asking the member if they have any more information about the canceled sealing, such as an approximate date. Or better yet, a letter. I'd also try to (carefully) elicit any additional information such as the circumstances. There's a possibility he's not understanding the situation. For example, if he's been sealed to another spouse, that doesn't cancel the first sealing automatically. However, the First Presidency would have to approve it and the prior spouse would have been contacted. (See Handbook 1:3.6.1)

Typically, a sealing is not canceled unless the wife finds another to get sealed to or there's really bad blood between them.

Then I'd contact support and see what they can see on their end. Note, there's nothing you can do to change things, all you can do is facilitate the flow if information for CHQ to make the changes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”