Play starts media even when program is not running

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

hilarion99

Play starts media even when program is not running

Post by hilarion99 »

This bug is in the Windows LDS Gospel Library.

I use the "play" button on my keyboard to start/stop music. Some time ago, I noticed that if the gospel library is running, it will start/stop the media at the same time as my music app. I closed the Gospel Library thinking that it would not have any listener processes for the play button.

However, I notice that after I've left my computer for some time (I'm not sure how long), typically over night is sufficient. The next time I press the play button, the gospel library media starts playing again even though this app is not running.

I'm a programmer, and I know a lot about start up processes and services. I can't find anything that points to a service that allows the app to intercept this event. But when it happens, I do notice a 'svchost.exe' process that is running that wasn't before "GospelUI.exe".

For me this is undesirable behavior. I only want the media to run if the app is open. I don't want some background service to start it. Even rebooting does not prevent this behavior.

Is this a bug, or is it intentional? Is there a setting that turns off this behavior? Must I uninstall the Gospel Library app to get rid of this behavior?

Thanks,

-Shaun Johnson
hilarion99

Re: Play starts media even when program is not running

Post by hilarion99 »

Sorry, the actual name of the svchost process is: GospelLibraryUI.exe. It's been approximately 1 hour since I killed it the last time, and now it is back.

Again, I have not opened the Gospel Library app. But the service has been started. It reminds me of a virus.
blaineg

Post by blaineg »

Same here, is there a way to disable this behavior in the app?

Thanks.
hilarion99

Post by hilarion99 »

I haven't gotten any responses, and it was getting pretty annoying, so I uninstalled the app.

This is definitely not my first choice. But the behavior is unacceptable. So... oh well.
josephhamblin

Post by josephhamblin »

Hi, I think we may have the same problem. I don't use the play key, but whenever I adjusted my computer's volume the gospel library tab would pop up next to it - even though it was closed and not set to start up automatically. I reset the app defaults in the Gospel Library settings menu, and so far, it seems to have done the job.
blaineg

Post by blaineg »

josephhamblin wrote: I reset the app defaults in the Gospel Library settings menu, and so far, it seems to have done the job.
Thanks, that seems to have worked for me as well. The only thing I had to change after resetting was the theme.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The developers are aware of this quirk and, after finishing with a more urgent issue, will be looking into this issue to see what can be done about it. It would appear something has gone weird with how Windows handles app audio, as we've not made any changes to how our app handles audio since before release, fairly early in beta.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”