AED

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
t0008sa

AED

Post by t0008sa »

Given that I've never seen an Automatic External Defibrillator in a church building, I assume it's not an approved item. Is anyone aware if there is a policy for or against having them?

Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: AED

Post by lajackson »

Your stake Physical Facilities Representative (PFR), a high councilor, may know. If not, he will be able to contact the FM Group.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If there was, I'd expect it to be in the [url=ttps://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/e ... f?lang=eng]Facilities Management Guidelines[/url]. Yet, a quick search for the words "AED" and "defibrillator" turned up nothing.

A quick search for AED laws did turn up some "baggage" - a requirement that a "employee" be trained. Plus a maintenance program to make sure they're operational, etc. See this page. One thing I don't see is any legal requirement for a church to have one. Balance that against how many people have suffered a heart problem at church. (I personally don't know of any incidents.) I suspect the answer is no one has seen a need for them. At least not on a church-wide basis.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have many years of Safety experience. Many life saving devices are not required by law. However, if an entity chooses to install them, they do come with legal requirements for maintenance, periodic function checks, training, etc.

You can imagine what could happen if an AED installed in a ward building was needed but was not functional because the manufacture's required maintenance was not followed. I am not an attorney, but it does not take one to see that failure to follow required maintenance on a lifesaving device could open the church up to litigation. Investigation of the legal requirements stemming from installation of such a device should occur (and how those requirements will be met) and caution is advised.
dbmcmullin

Post by dbmcmullin »

AED’s are very easy to use and very common now. I wonder about liability of not providing them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mcmullindb wrote:AED’s are very easy to use and very common now. I wonder about liability of not providing them.
I'm sure the church's legal department would keep in eye on that. But it seems unlikely that there would be a liability for not having something that the law doesn't require. There's a lot more to them than just buying them and mounting them to the wall.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”