Mother's maiden name of blessing certificate

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
joachimvalgren

Mother's maiden name of blessing certificate

Post by joachimvalgren »

When I create a certificate for the blessing of a child, it says "who is the son of [father's name] and [mother's maiden name]". The mother has taken the father's last name, so using the maiden name doesn't make much sense to me and I'm wondering if this is a mistake in MLS/LCR or if it's on purpose.

Has anyone else experienced this and how do I fix it?
eblood66

Re: Mother's maiden name of blessing certificate

Post by eblood66 »

It's on purpose similar to how birth certificates show the maiden name of the mother. It provides a better genealogical record by making sure the mother's family name is included.
joachimvalgren

Post by joachimvalgren »

Thank you for your reply, at least I know it isn't a mistake.

Is there any way of making the mother's actual name appear on the certificate? Using the mother's maiden name can make it look like the parents aren't married, and I can see some people getting annoyed that the wrong name is being used.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Not that I know of. I wouldn't think it would cause confusion since it's pretty standard practice for things like birth certificates and christening records. Maybe that convention is different in Denmark but from what I can tell it looks like Parish records in Denmark did use the maiden name even when parents are married at least in the 1800's and early 1900's (http://www.mydanishroots.com/births-mar ... sters.html). I couldn't find any information on current practices.
joachimvalgren

Post by joachimvalgren »

I just had a look at my own records, and my mother's current name is listed on the document, not her maiden name. Instead they just include "born XXX".

This seems like a wrong decision and I hope this is fixed, at lease the option should be given to use one of the names, to fit the local custom and parents' preference.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

joachimvalgren wrote:I just had a look at my own records, and my mother's current name is listed on the document, not her maiden name. Instead they just include "born XXX".

This seems like a wrong decision and I hope this is fixed, at lease the option should be given to use one of the names, to fit the local custom and parents' preference.
You can submit feedback using the Feedback link at the bottom of any LCR page.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joachimvalgren wrote:I just had a look at my own records, and my mother's current name is listed on the document, not her maiden name. Instead they just include "born XXX".
When was that done? Having the computer print the certificates is fairly recent. Before, it was something the clerk typed up by hand.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joachimvalgren

Post by joachimvalgren »

russellhltn wrote:
When was that done? Having the computer print the certificates is fairly recent. Before, it was something the clerk typed up by hand.
I'm sorry, I meant my birth certificate as eblood66 referred to them in his link.
imachiro

Post by imachiro »

I've printed a blessing certificate for a couple in our ward. The mother's maiden name is there, which I understand, but not her first name. I've checked her records and everything is good there. How do I get the certificate to print the mothers first and last name?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

imachiro wrote:I've printed a blessing certificate for a couple in our ward. The mother's maiden name is there, which I understand, but not her first name. I've checked her records and everything is good there. How do I get the certificate to print the mothers first and last name?
I'd check to make sure the child is correctly linked to his or he mother. In LCR look at the child's member profile on the Family tab. The mother should show up as a link. If the mother doesn't have a link then she may be recorded as a non-member. If so, use the pencil icon to edit the information and make the correct link. If the mother does show up as a link with both first and last names then it sounds like a bug. You'll probably have to contact Local Unit Support and see what they can do. In the mean time, I believe you can still print blessing certificates in MLS.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”