Missing Membership?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russell.j.taylor

Missing Membership?

Post by russell.j.taylor »

Hi

I have just received access to the MLS system. I'm a newly called Stake Clerk. Just before I was called the Stake had their desktop computer stolen. The ICS have supplied me with a new computer with MLS 2.9 installed, but there was no backup from the old computer. So I assumed that if I connected and ran 'send & recieve' I would receive all the membership info for the Stake. I should of said I'm not super familiar with MLS. After the 'send & recieve' I only have 78 members!! Something is not right, so I did a request unit data and tried again, no difference. So I checked that all the wards were showing up system options and they are. What should I do next? HELP

Russell
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How long did you wait after the unit refresh? It takes CHQ at least an hour after the send/receive that transmits the request before the data is ready for download. You may need to run another send/receive and the membership information will be solved.

Also, if you call clerk support, they can probably queue up a backup to be downloaded. It might be as much as 30 days old, but it's better then nothing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Oh I wish our unit clerks would read this horror story. Getting them to do regular backups following Church policies and procedures is hard to do. If they only could realize how much work could be in store for them if this happened to them simply because they think it is too much bother to make all the backups the Church directs.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russell.j.taylor

Thanks for the speedy replies, I first requested the data about 3 hours ago, and have tried send/receive about once an hour, nothing yet. How would one go about calling clerk support from the UK? Do you know if we have to call the states or if we have local support. Once again thanks

Russell
russell.j.taylor

I feel your pain, since I've been called we instituted offsite backups of the mls data via a usb memory stick. We have had the stake & ward PC's stolen 3 times this year (Both in the same building).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

russell.j.taylor wrote:Thanks for the speedy replies, I first requested the data about 3 hours ago, and have tried send/receive about once an hour, nothing yet. How would one go about calling clerk support from the UK? Do you know if we have to call the states or if we have local support. Once again thanks

Russell
I would say give it a little more time, just because the Church MLS servers were down yesterday. They might have a heavier load today than normal. Perhaps after 4, 6, or even 24 hours, if that Membership Refresh hasn't come in yet, then a call to Church Headquarters would be appropriate. And yes, I would probably call the support here in the States.
russell.j.taylor

thanks once again...

really appreciate your speedy responses

Russell
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russell.j.taylor wrote:How would one go about calling clerk support from the UK? Do you know if we have to call the states or if we have local support.

You should have an Area Administrative Office in the UK that can help you. They may have you call Church Headquarters for a backup restore, or you could also request one through MLS messaging.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

russell.j.taylor wrote:... I did a request unit data and tried again, no difference. So I checked that all the wards were showing up system options and they are. What should I do next? HELP
I would suggest you tell all the units in your stake to "send membership data to the stake" (File>Send membership data to the stake") followed by an immediate send/receive. Once they have all done that, do a send/receive from the stake computer.

There may be some lag time, and this may accomplish the same thing as "request unit data". However, I used this a couple weeks ago to get some out-of-unit records created in one ward for a new bishopric to show up on the stake computers. There was less than 5 minutes between the two send/receives (ward then stake) and I got the updated membership data I wanted.

The bottle neck is that the units have to send/receive first (uploading the data) and then you can send receive (downloading the data). This will also give you the most current membership data instead of an old one (although old is better than nothing!)

If you still want to contact HQ, you can use the message system in MLS (under the angel moroni in the top left panel) or you can send them an email at msrmail@ldsmail.net

Hope this helps
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

This doesn't answer Bro Taylor's question but it did bring up a question I have had about doing "refreshes". I have been told that doing a unit refresh i.e. requesting a refresh of one of the units assigned to the stake takes up to an hour or more. Is that the case or is it more or less? If it takes an "hour" to do one refresh would it take even more time if you were to request a refresh of the entire stake units?

Reason I ask is two of our units (at least on our stake computer) do not show ward clerks assigned to their unit. However when I have been at those units, their unit computer shows that the clerk is assigned. Not sure why it is not showing up in the stake computer so I have often thought about doing a "refresh" of those two units but have been wondering how long it would take. Or if that would even help get the clerks to show in the stake computer.

The idea that a refresh would take up to an hour a unit was passed on to me by the previous stake clerk. Not sure if that is info he got from Salt Lake or it was from his personal experience.

Thanks (and I hope Bro Taylor gets his updates!!!!)
Jim

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”