Contribution to General Missionary fund by mistake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rjamesh77

Contribution to General Missionary fund by mistake

Post by rjamesh77 »

So, we just had a ward member make an online donation to the General Missionary fund in the amount of $400. This member has a son on a mission. Previous contributions were correctly made to the missionary's account. What can be done to right this ship without asking them to make an additional contribution of $400 to keep the account current? Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Contribution to General Missionary fund by mistake

Post by russellhltn »

The ward clerk or financial clerk should be able to recategorize that donation in MLS.

I'm not sure of the exact steps, but it involves going into the batch and pulling up that donation and editing it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rjamesh77

Post by rjamesh77 »

Thanks, Russell. This is my 3rd time as a Ward Clerk but my first since online donations started. Did not know I could make a change to an online donation. I'll give it a shot. Appreciate the reply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I missed the part about online donation. That should work when that donation shows up in the ward's system. That might take some time to go though the computer systems.

See Q11 and Q19 of the Donation: Answers to General Questions
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

You can also make the change in LCR now. Go to Finance > Donations in the menu. Find the donation (you'll need to know the date or it will be tedious to look through each one) . When viewing the donation click on the Donor name to view the donation details. Then click the Adjust Donation button and edit the categories. Then print the report when offered and file it (I usually file it with the weekly donation batch for the following week from the original donation).
rjamesh77

Post by rjamesh77 »

Thanks, eblood66. Your instructions were spot on.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but would it be prudent to ask the member to sign the report to show they agreed with the change? Could changing an online donation be construed as deviating from the donor's wishes without something documenting they authorized the change?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davesudweeks wrote:Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but would it be prudent to ask the member to sign the report to show they agreed with the change? Could changing an online donation be construed as deviating from the donor's wishes without something documenting they authorized the change?
When you make the change it asks for a reason for the change. In addition the donor can see the change online and it will also show up on their year end statement. If they disagree with the change it should come up then. I don't know any requirement to have the donor's signature. Of course, it can't hurt but there isn't any place on the report for a signature of any kind so I don't think it's expected.
rjamesh77

Post by rjamesh77 »

Good info here and much appreciated. The suggestion to get the donor signature, even if not required, isn't a bad idea. I had an email exchange wherein she requested that I make the change if I could. But I will get her to sign the printed documentation. Thanks again, all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rjamesh77 wrote:Good info here and much appreciated. The suggestion to get the donor signature, even if not required, isn't a bad idea. I had an email exchange wherein she requested that I make the change if I could. But I will get her to sign the printed documentation. Thanks again, all.
I'd think a printed copy of the email should be more than sufficient.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”