Photographs on Unit Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
CuriousGIS-p40

Getting pictures to the right size

Post by CuriousGIS-p40 »

Gimp, www.gimp.org

This is a great program that allows us to resize the pictures to the correct size. We have had success with creating ok looking pictures with 10 people in the frame, however it does tend to get a little hard to distinguish different people. However, if you are using it to recognize the family as a whole it does fine.

I just wish we could upload a picture and have the LDS website do all this for us, ie an interface to crop and resize. All too often a non-computer or barely-computer literate person is called to be a web site admin and they do not feel comfortable resizing pictures and uploading them to the website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CuriousGIS wrote:Gimp, www.gimp.org
A poor man's Photoshop. Good for what it does, and very capable in the right hands, but I think it's way overkill for resizing photos. And it's got a steep learning curve.

I think Picasa from Google may be a more user-friendly pick.
rpyne

Picture Size Request

Post by rpyne »

It would be very helpful if we could use either 180 x 135 or 135 x 180 pixels The current restriction is not conducive to pictures of individuals. With the large and growing percentage of single members, restricting photos to a horizontal format just simply does not make sense.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

rpyne wrote:It would be very helpful if we could use either 180 x 135 or 135 x 180 pixels The current restriction is not conducive to pictures of individuals. With the large and growing percentage of single members, restricting photos to a horizontal format just simply does not make sense.
Since the size limitation makes it difficult to distinguish faces if there are more than 2 individuals, I assume that the photo option is just for identification purposes and not to highlight families, I take my camera to church often and snap members as they leave the building. I sometimes take group photos at an activity and then crop each one out and add them to the directory. I have just recently created a PDF file of the directory and sent it out to members to place on their desktop for fast checking without the necessity of logging on to the web site.
zaneclark

Photos at Tithing Setlement

Post by zaneclark »

Following a suggestion I found on this forum, I spent all afternoon yesterday lurking in the hall outside the clerk's office at our ward's first day of tithing settlement and was able to get photos of 14 families or individuals to add to the web site. I was also able to give out information on the web site and added some new registrations. In sizing the photos for the web site, using Photoshop Elements, I found that if I reduced the resolution to 50 pixels I was able to get photos of almost 2 x 3 inches and they still looked pretty good...
cordesa

Post by cordesa »

RussellHltn wrote:A poor man's Photoshop. Good for what it does, and very capable in the right hands, but I think it's way overkill for resizing photos. And it's got a steep learning curve.

I think Picasa from Google may be a more user-friendly pick.

One of my professors wrote a simple image resizer. Just Google "pliska image resizer" and you will find it. The download is free from download[dot]com. Works only in windows - can resize a single photo or a batch.
atom88-p40

Ward picture directory - useless size limit

Post by atom88-p40 »

There is a Ward Picture directory option available on the ward/stake website. You have to be an administrator in order to add pictures. Also be aware of the limit of 135 x 180 pixels in place for each picture.

Why not let EACH MEMBER upload his/her own picture(s)? This used to be there but was taken away, I believe?

I would personally like to see them change this to a filesize based limit or else something larger. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to see a family of 5-10 people's faces at that size. If the church is supposed to be about FAMILY, why are the pictures not FAMILY-FRIENDLY sizeable?

Also, I would suggest cropping down the picture and/or resizing it only the person's face due to the above limitation, otherwise the picture directory is almost useless as faces are indistinguishable.

To say that "the church" doesn't store pictures of it's members is technically misleading and probably NOT true? Obviously they are stored on some "church owned/ run / operated" server somewhere if they are on lds.org, even if it's only accessable within a stake?

I think it should be restated as something like "the church doesn't preserve pictures of it's members when they move outside the ward/stake" (for some unknown reason?)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

atom88 wrote:There is a Ward Picture directory option available on the ward/stake website. You have to be an administrator in order to add pictures. Also be aware of the limit of 135 x 180 pixels in place for each picture.

Why not let EACH MEMBER upload his/her own picture(s)? This used to be there but was taken away, I believe?
Adding a picture has always been under the control of a web administrator. I suppose this is to ensure control of what would end up on the web site.
atom88 wrote:I would personally like to see them change this to a filesize based limit or else something larger. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to see a family of 5-10 people's faces at that size. If the church is supposed to be about FAMILY, why are the pictures not FAMILY-FRIENDLY sizeable?
The size of the picture and the related issues of resolution have been discussed and recommendations made in the Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
chriswoodut-p40

Post by chriswoodut-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:Adding a picture has always been under the control of a web administrator. I suppose this is to ensure control of what would end up on the web site.

The size of the picture and the related issues of resolution have been discussed and recommendations made in the Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List.
If people could upload their own pictures, then the pictures would stay current. If there is a concern of what would be uploaded, then there should be a submission/approval process like there is for calendar items.

Our ward has gone to just using pictures of the parents because the kids grow up too fast and the pictures aren't as useful.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

chriswoodut wrote:If people could upload their own pictures, then the pictures would stay current. If there is a concern of what would be uploaded, then there should be a submission/approval process like there is for calendar items.
This is already a proposed feature in the Local Unit Web Sites 2.0 rewrite. More information can be found on its wiki page: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Ward_%26_Stake_Directory_Application

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”