GL App doesn't have recent magazine editions

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jvswan

GL App doesn't have recent magazine editions

Post by jvswan »

Hi all,

I just noticed that the most recent of any of the magazines in my Gospel Library app is July 2017. I've never seen this before. It is October and I can't view the October Ensign because the issue isn't showing up. I use the app all the time, so I'm not sure why it is stuck in July. It does have the recent General Conference talks, though.

Any suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: GL App doesn't have recent magazine editions

Post by russellhltn »

Make sure you are on the most current version of GL. Older versions are slow to get updates - if they get them at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
amcomber

Post by amcomber »

I had the same problem. I contacted technical support. I was given the below information.

'Your device uses an earlier version of Android. Because of changes in the security and support from Google for older devices, Gospel Library 3.x requires devices running Android 2.3.6 and higher.

Gospel Library 4.x requires devices running Android 4.0.3 or higher.

Sorry your unable to update to the new version you can try update the app I'm not sure if it will work though."
Jimymalfy

Post by Jimymalfy »

I have this same problem with my hp notebook. I am unable to update the publications like the ensign magazine and other various books and study helps for sunday school lessons. this includes our recent general conference topics
NadiaMerrill

Post by NadiaMerrill »

I have an older iPad, and the newest conference I'm seeing is April 2017. I received a prompt to download the October conference, but there was a problem with my internet connection, and I haven't been able to get that prompt back. Is there's anything I can do? My GL version is the latest one, 4.1.3.10107.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Jimymalfy wrote:I have this same problem with my hp notebook. I am unable to update the publications like the ensign magazine and other various books and study helps for sunday school lessons. this includes our recent general conference topics
You need to upgrade to Windows 10 to run the latest version of Gospel Library for Windows.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

NadiaMerrill wrote:I have an older iPad, and the newest conference I'm seeing is April 2017. I received a prompt to download the October conference, but there was a problem with my internet connection, and I haven't been able to get that prompt back. Is there's anything I can do? My GL version is the latest one, 4.1.3.10107.
The General Conference notification was to let people know that it was available, or would be available shortly, through the normal content update process (so, if you ignored or missed the notification you should still get the most recent content, including General Conference).

Do you have "Allow Cellular Content Updates" turned on in settings? Are you frequently connected to Wi-Fi on your iPad, or do you normally use it on a cellular network? If "Allow Cellular Content Updates" is off, it will only check for updates when you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.

How often do you use your iPad in general? If you don't use it often, it's possible it just hasn't had a chance to update content yet. If you force close the app by swiping it out of your list of recent apps, then re-open it, it should force the app to check for the latest content. You should see a little spinner in the status bar at the top of the screen, when you reopen the app, that indicates the app is connecting to the internet, checking for updates, and syncing annotations (the spinner will go away when it finishes).

How much space do you have on your iPad? If you're running low on space, it may have trouble downloading updates.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Jimymalfy

Post by Jimymalfy »

sbradshaw wrote:
Jimymalfy wrote:I have this same problem with my hp notebook. I am unable to update the publications like the ensign magazine and other various books and study helps for sunday school lessons. this includes our recent general conference topics
You need to upgrade to Windows 10 to run the latest version of Gospel Library for Windows.
I shouldn't need to upgrade to a different operating system to obtain standard updates to utilize a church controlled app. I had windows 10 and it wouldn't allow the use of the gospel library app and even had problems using LDS tools. I was told that the security programs and firewalls may prevent the updates by a church member that experienced the same problem with HP Ipad
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jimymalfy wrote:I shouldn't need to upgrade to a different operating system to obtain standard updates to utilize a church controlled app.
However, it is a fact of life. The GL app for Windows is using newer technology that wasn't available in prior versions. It may not even be supported in earlier versions of Windows 10. The idea was to make the same code work for both tablets and phones as the whole point of GL was to work with mobile devices.

For whatever reason (probably to support better markup capability), the content source keeps changing and older sources do not get timely updates. That's true of GL across all platforms.

I'm not sure of the reasoning, but it's probably a balancing act between supporting the few members with older technology and the widow's mite in paying employees to update something that so few members are using.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
petzoldrobertwarren1

Post by petzoldrobertwarren1 »

Did not see any answer in the above. How do I get the icons to load for the Ensign for August 2017 and later on my Windows 10 phone so I can download them?

Return to “Gospel Library”