How to transfer money from Ward Mission Fund to a missionary

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chad.stewart

How to transfer money from Ward Mission Fund to a missionary

Post by chad.stewart »

I realize this may be a basic process, but we have a missionary account for a missionary who has long since returned from his mission--but during his mission his family moved several times and ... long story short ... our ward has a balance on his missionary account that I am trying to close out using money from the Ward Missionary Fund (approved by the Bishop, of course).

Do I accomplish this payment using the Transfers function of MLS? Or is there another way that I'm not thinking of?
Biggles

Re: How to transfer money from Ward Mission Fund to a missio

Post by Biggles »

I'm pretty sure that's how you do it. If you can see the Ward Mission Fund, under the Transfer function and also the missionary's name, then that's the way to go.
chad.stewart

Post by chad.stewart »

Thanks. Also as a follow up:

A missionary from our ward since released ended her mission with a positive balance in her account. LDS.org instructions state: "Other missionary finance guidelines: Contributions to the ward missionary fund that have not been used when a missionary is released should be kept in the ward missionary fund and used as needed. Never refund missionary contributions to a donor." Does that mean I should transfer the positive balance from the missionary's account to the Ward Missionary Fund?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

You might check to see if other wards have a 'negative' balance in the WMF for that individual
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

chad.stewart wrote:Thanks. Also as a follow up:

A missionary from our ward since released ended her mission with a positive balance in her account. LDS.org instructions state: "Other missionary finance guidelines: Contributions to the ward missionary fund that have not been used when a missionary is released should be kept in the ward missionary fund and used as needed. Never refund missionary contributions to a donor." Does that mean I should transfer the positive balance from the missionary's account to the Ward Missionary Fund?
Yes!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chad.stewart wrote:but during his mission his family moved several times and ... long story short ... our ward has a balance on his missionary account that I am trying to close out using money from the Ward Missionary Fund (approved by the Bishop, of course).
I'd agree with johnshaw - check with the other wards to make sure they don't have a complimentary balance in their account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

chad.stewart wrote:I realize this may be a basic process, but we have a missionary account for a missionary who has long since returned from his mission--but during his mission his family moved several times and ... long story short ... our ward has a balance on his missionary account that I am trying to close out using money from the Ward Missionary Fund (approved by the Bishop, of course).

Do I accomplish this payment using the Transfers function of MLS? Or is there another way that I'm not thinking of?
If I understand you right, you would like to transfer money from the Ward Missionary Fund into this missionary's subaccount because the subaccount is negative, and presumably has been negative for some time since he returned, correct?

The best thing to do, and something to keep in mind for the future, is to make sure the account is located in the ward that's going to be receiving the contributions. If the family moves and plans to contribute in their new ward, have the bishop coordinate with their new bishop the date that the new ward will be taking over the account, so that one ward doesn't have a negative balance while another ward has an equally positive balance.

In this case, if the parent's current ward (or another ward they were in) doesn't have a positive balance, you would do exactly as you suggested and use the transfer option to zero out the missionary's subaccount.
emeljohndomingoaguinaldo

Re: How to transfer money from Ward Mission Fund to a missionary

Post by emeljohndomingoaguinaldo »

Hi,

I have a question about how the counterpart of prospective missionaries. Because we send it together with the tithing of members and we did not separate there counterpart. It's there have possible to received their mission call?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

emeljohndomingoaguinaldo wrote:Hi,

I have a question about how the counterpart of prospective missionaries. Because we send it together with the tithing of members and we did not separate there counterpart. It's there have possible to received their mission call?
I'm afraid I don't understand the English wording/phrasing, and I suspect I'm not the only one who does not understand it. May I suggest you post again in the original language so hopefully someone can render a clearer translation?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

emeljohndomingoaguinaldo wrote:I have a question about how the counterpart of prospective missionaries. Because we send it together with the tithing of members and we did not separate there counterpart. It's there have possible to received their mission call?
The sub-category for a missionary is created only after the missionary has received their call. There is no way to set aside funds for a prospective missionary. It can only be placed in the top-level Ward Missionary fund and moved after the sub-category is created.

Anything placed in "General Missionary" will not be available for specific missionaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”