Help finding guidance

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Help finding guidance

Post by wrigjef »

I can't find a specific statement I'm looking for. I see that the subject of DO NOT CONTACT lists has been discussed here many times before. It came up again in a bishopric meeting where the Bishop was asking if there was a way to create a list on the website. I told him NO and repeated the guidance about placing a notation of any kind on a record is prohibited. I mentioned that I had seen a statement from church leaders that said something to the effect of "Members can not dictate the conditions of their membership". Of course the Bishop asked me to send him everything on DO NOT CONTACT lists including the statement. Can anyone help?
eblood66

Re: Help finding guidance

Post by eblood66 »

The statement I know of was in an MLS message sent several years ago. I don't know that it has ever shown up anywhere else. It just instructed clerks not to put do not contact indicators in membership records. I don't remember anything about any specific rational or reason for it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Of the top of my head, I think the primary directive came in a MLS message.

As for "Members can not dictate the conditions of their membership", that may have been my personal viewpoint expressed here.

That said, let the Handbook Chase begin. <Grin>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Here's what I've been able to find:

Annotations: Only CHQ can place annotations on the record and it's for members who pose a danger to other members (Handbook 1: 6.13.4)

So, the question becomes how to notate the record. There are a couple of "User Definable Field"s in MLS, but they're only available via custom reports. There's ward geo codes, but that's not practical either. I think the only practical way is to abuse the address or phone number fields.

The directive not to tag membership records with "DNC" (Do not contact) can be found in the This weekend's tip: No "DNC" on membership records thread. While it doesn't show it now, I'm certain that "birdld-p40" was a church employee at the time it was posted. He still shows a "@ldschurch.org" address. (The "-p40" is for old inactive members when we transitioned the forum between different software.) Of course, that was 8 years ago, I'm sure that message is likely long gone from MLS. I'm sure the sharp-eyed will notice that was published back in 2009 - before the current Handbook.

As for "Members can not dictate the conditions of their membership", Handbook 1: Section 6 has a list of ways that membership can be revoked by the church. Wanting a "DNC" doesn't rise to that level (Handbook 1: 6.7.1), but does show that the member doesn't have complete control. But I would ask if anyone is aware of any organization that would allow a person on their membership roles who demands no contact - not even from leadership. That seems like a terribly one-way relationship.

Certainly there are ways that can be accommodated: The privacy rights in the directory can be set so they will only appear to leaders. I don't think there's anything prohibiting placing them into a special HT/VT districts that are assigned to quorum/auxiliary presidents. Nor is there anything against letting the Ward Council know of the member's wishes.

If someone is really adamant about no contact, I'd consider letting them know how to remove their name from the records. I think most members only know about excommunication - in effect a "dishonorable discharge" and are not aware of the other options available.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I'm just looking for. Information to support a decision. I believe the Bishop is going to slowly get us away from having no contacts on a list.

A person is either a member or they are not. A member can chose not to accept H/V teachers and if requested can remain unassigned. A member can also chose not to come and participate in church. If a member makes these choices but still wishes to remain a member, they must accept the fact that they could possibly be reached out to or invited to something (at which time they can chose to accept or decline). If they don't want any contact at all from the church they will be informed that can't be guaranteed as long as their name remains on the records.

As this ward policy is developed, I'm sure there will be very gentle and loving language inserted because we do want to welcome everyone into the fold and build the Loards kingdom in this area.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

For each member or household that has requested no contact, I have set their visibility settings in the Directory to Leadership Only. So they do not appear in the directory, but are visible to ward leaders.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I think this is the concept we are working on and the basis for moving away from a do not contact list.

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

More research will tell the tale but my suspicion is that the HQ is going to fully agree. If they supported the idea of do not contact lists, I think they would build in that functionality.

Return to “Membership Help”