Sacrament Bread Tray

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jarom1976

Sacrament Bread Tray

Post by jarom1976 »

I am trying to find a sacrament tray for the bread, that would have a small separate compartment. We have several members in our ward that have very severe allergies. Even if their item they bring with them for the sacrament touches bread, they are unable to partake. We have used plastic baggies in the past to avoid that, however I am not a big fan of baggies in the tray. I thought if there were a tray that had a small separate compartment that would work perfect. There is nothing similar to that that the church provides and my searches have come up in vein on the internet. Anybody looked for something similar to that with any luck?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Sacrament Bread Tray

Post by scgallafent »

We purchased some small plastic portion cups with lids. One of the priests breaks the gluten-free bread first, puts a few pieces in each cup, and puts the lid on the cup. One cup is placed on each sacrament tray. When a member needs the gluten-free bread, they open the cup, take a piece out, and replace the lid.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My daughter's ward has a number of gluten-intolerant members and so they use gluten-free bread for the entire congregation. The Teachers wash the bread trays each Sunday morning before taking them into the Chapel as there are 3 wards in that building.

However, the OP did not mention gluten intolerance so this may not be the problem you are trying to obtain advice on.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Ditto. Some have requested gluten-free bread, while others have requested dairy-free bread. So we buy bread that is free from all allergens (and taste) and serve it to the entire congregation.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There's a similar thread from a while ago that discusses this – you might find some helpful ideas: Celiac disease.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Paige75

Post by Paige75 »

a brother in our ward brings his own individual bite size piece of bread in a pill box that is then placed on the bread tray. We do not open the pillbox.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Paige75 wrote:a brother in our ward brings his own individual bite size piece of bread in a pill box that is then placed on the bread tray. We do not open the pillbox.
However, it sounds like the bread is not broken as part of the sacrament ordinance. That may be problematic from a doctrinal viewpoint.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:However, it sounds like the bread is not broken as part of the sacrament ordinance. That may be problematic from a doctrinal viewpoint.
Administrative, perhaps, but I do not believe it is a problem from a doctrinal viewpoint. I imagine there are few left who know what it was like to partake of the sacrament using something other than bread. That it was not "broken" was never a problem.
nbsouthwick

Post by nbsouthwick »

Can someone help me out here... is there some guidelines for gluten free sacrament bread? My kid can’t take the bread. Every idea keeps getting shut down to make it so my child and others can partake of the bread in my ward. I have been to wards where they have Chex in a cup for gluten free, but it won’t happen in my ward. Does the church have any guidelines for it so my kids can partake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nbsouthwick wrote:Can someone help me out here... is there some guidelines for gluten free sacrament bread? My kid can’t take the bread. Every idea keeps getting shut down to make it so my child and others can partake of the bread in my ward. I have been to wards where they have Chex in a cup for gluten free, but it won’t happen in my ward. Does the church have any guidelines for it so my kids can partake
Refer the leaders to a letter dated March 1, 2013 from the Priesthood department. The bishopric can find it at letters.lds.org.
It authorizes substitutes for the bread.

I couldn't find anything in the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”