email tlds > 4 chars plz?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
jsonWhite

email tlds > 4 chars plz?

Post by jsonWhite »

I submitted a request on this directly to support and got no response. The membership/account settings on lds.org do not allow email address with TLD (.com, .net, etc.) of more than 4 characters (yes, I debugged it, read the javascript validation and even tested a manual submission with javascript out of the way).

Anyone know why they can't update the policy and validation (regEx) to allow for something like foo@bar.place (where I have my preferred email parked now)?

Thanks!
mevans

Re: email tlds > 4 chars plz?

Post by mevans »

How long ago did you submit your request to support? Depending on the load, sometimes it takes weeks for them to respond. Those who respond I believe are volunteer church service missionaries and it's possible your question may not be understood, especially when you are using acronyms such as TLD. I thought longer top-level domains were more recent, but saw mention that ".museum" has been around since 2001.

I suggest resubmitting your support request and try to explain the problem in a way that a non-technical person would understand it. You might even include a link to the current list of TLDs (http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt).

I suspect the regEx you found was probably created by someone who didn't properly research the topic. In technology, there are many specs that aren't consulted--people are trying to make things work and move on to the next task to be done. I've learned about some specs I wasn't aware of on these forums. For example, I believe it was on these forums that I learned that email addresses are actually case sensitive per the spec (foo@bar.place and Foo@bar.place are different addresses), but few--if any--email services enforce that. I'm sure the church's regEx was implemented with good intentions, but it's clearly a bug. Hopefully if the first line of support response understands that it will be submitted as a bug and fixed.

Return to “Main Church Website”